error extracting iWork with Pacifist

Reaction score
Ok I have a MacBook Pro 10.4.11, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I had an old trial of iWork'06 but never used it. Until recently a friend of mine encouraged me to get the newer iWork'09, since I was just using Microsoft Office for Mac.

I bought iWork'09 and inserted the CD to install. Pacifist then opened the package and I clicked 'install'. However while it was extracting the files a window popped up and says:

"Error
The checksum for the file 'MobileMe' is incorrect. The file may not have been extracted properly or may be damaged. Please take caution in using this file."

I then clicked 'continue', ignoring what this message meant. It continued to extract everything however when I click on one of the applications, either Pages, etc. It then says:

"Files that iWork needs are missing"

It then tells me to try and re-install to regain these missing files. I've tried to re-install multiple times and the same things happen. I did see, however, in a forums question that people responded that they should try downloading the trial version and then just entering the CD key they received with the purchase.

I tried this and the same things are happening...

I am replacing files on top of each other each time I've tried to re-install iWork '09. Should I completely wipe out all iWork programs and then re-insert my installer cd? What should I do, I have no idea what files are missing...??

Reaction score
I would guess your computer is having trouble reading the disc -- is it scratched/scuffed? If all else fails, you should consider OpenOffice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wonder why Pacifist opened the package as you should do a full install? Is it possible the older trial version was still installed? Read this does cause problems and should be removed using the uninstaller if there is one on the iWorks 09 version, but there is not on my '08 version.

If you cant find an uninstaller, download AppTrap and drag everything to do with iWork the trash.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Pacifist has nothing to do with the installer of iWork. If that came up instead of the installer on the iWork DVD, that is probably your problem right there.

OP
S
Reaction score
Should I just get rid of Pacifist then? What is the name of the regular installer then, and I'll just right click and choose it to open it.

By the way, I do have files on my laptop that have to do with iWork, should I just get rid of everything iWork related? Cause the iWork'09 cd I have will just install everything I need right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.