Using 2 monitors, one screen goes black?

Reaction score
I'm trying to do some work on my mac using microsoft word but there are a few videos I need to watch while I write up about them. I have a 2nd monitor that is linked via vga lead. Whenever I put the video full-screen, my mac monitor goes black and I can't use both simultaneously because of that. Is there a way to change this?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Pretty much have to take it out of full screen to do that. When I watch video I'll put it on the big monitor as almost-but-not-quite full screen then I get my built-in back, but otherwise I don't know you can avoid that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Pretty much have to take it out of full screen to do that. When I watch video I'll put it on the big monitor as almost-but-not-quite full screen then I get my built-in back, but otherwise I don't know you can avoid that.

That happens to me watching movies in itunes, but when i watch a movie in DVD i have it on my other monitor at full screen and can see my Mac screen. The only thing with it in DVD is when i click on my Mac monitor the DVD screen comes out of full screen and and reduces the DVD window to fit into the monitor screen ..... Not full.

What are u using to watch the video ??

Cheers

Reaction score
VLC (videloan.org) will allow you to set the monitor of your choice for the video window while leaving the control window on your main screen. It also allows full screen on the secondary with full control of the main. I use it for watching movies on my TV from the family G5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.