Macbook or Macbook Pro ?

Reaction score
Here is the issue someone is getting me a macbook well they haven't yet ...

I am trying to figure out what would be best.

Would a macbook or macbook pro work for the following :

Vlogging (i do those sometimes but will be getting into them more and more)

Podcasting (i want to start one)

Writing

The Sims 3

Adobe Creative Suite

Wacom Graphic Tablet

Is the iSight clear enough for vlogging and would a blue snowball mic be best for audio recording ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
All depends on what you're willing to spend. From what I've heard, the newly released Macbooks have fairly similar specs to the Macbook Pros. I don't know how involved you'll be getting with vlogging and podcasting, but Macbooks usually have enough power to handle that, especially with the upgraded specs.

The Macbook doesn't have a Firewire port however, if that affects anything. I used CS3 (albeit very lightly) with success and I know people who've run Sims on it with no trouble. The iSight is alright (480 MB/s), but it's a bit fuzzy in my experience.

The higher-end Pro has a faster (2.53 GHz) processor and can handle more RAM, but that comes with a significant price jump. If you're looking for a slightly snappier job, I'd say go for the Pro (I own a 13" and am very happy with it), but a regular Macbook will be sufficient for what you're planning to do.

Reaction score
A regular MacBook should be fine. if you plan on doing any heavy 3D rendering, then I'd suggest a MBP. But since you're just going to do basic stuff then get a regular MacBook. It saves money and is more than enough for what you want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
/threadjack

Love the avatar pic Joe!

/unjack

I think you would be fine with the white MacBook. Unless you want a backlit keyboard, SD slot, and firewire.

I dont do much vlogging, but the iSight will be good enough for recording as is...so you could save money until people need to see your face clearer ;), I think you will be impressed by the quality the iSight provides. Also, if you don't have a microphone yet, the built in one does work quite well, I do suggest getting a proper microphone at some point though, as you don't always want to be close to the MacBook.

Reaction score
Here is the issue someone is getting me a macbook well they haven't yet ...

I am trying to figure out what would be best.

Would a macbook or macbook pro work for the following :

Vlogging (i do those sometimes but will be getting into them more and more)

Podcasting (i want to start one)

Writing

The Sims 3

Adobe Creative Suite

Wacom Graphic Tablet

Is the iSight clear enough for vlogging and would a blue snowball mic be best for audio recording ?

Vlogging is definitely going to work wonderfully on both machines. Every Mac comes with Quicktime X, which allows you to record video via your iSight camera, and then uploading it straight away onto YouTube if you so wish, which makes vlogging really simple on a Mac. I am not familiar with Podcasting, but I am sure GarageBand can do the same thing as well.

Writing is going to be simple on a Mac, as you really only need any word-processing tool to make that happen.

The Sims 3 is compatible with every Mac without the need to boot up Windows. So you are covered there.

Adobe Creative Suite is going to work just fine on your Mac, though a bit of horsepower would be needed to run it smoothly. I am not familiar with CS for the most part, but my girlfriend uses it on her Macbook, and she doesn't encounter a lot of problems.

And as for the tablet, it should work because my girlfriend uses a tablet as well. I'm not sure which brand she uses, but I know that it wasn't difficult to find a driver to install. She was up and running in a few minutes, so you don't have to worry about that. I'm sure you can Google to find out if it is compatible.

iSight camera is more than enough. If you go online to check out some demonstration videos posted by Mac-users that shows themselves in the video, those were probably recorded with an iSight camera. I'd say that for purposes such as video-conferencing, taking pictures of yourself and stuff, the camera is more than enough. In fact, the microphone that is built into your Mac would be good enough, though an additional microphone can be purchased if you so wish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Technically speaking for what you need at the moment, I also agree that a macbook would def do the the job for now.

BUT I would take into account things such as longevity, a faster processor and larger hard drive (and faster too) if thats something that really concerns you. Also keep in mind that you only have a 13 inch screen option for the macbook. So if you want a bigger screen like a 15 or 17 inch you have to look at the pro line.

But like everyone has already stated, it comes down to what you want to spend.

Can someone that is more knowledgeable than me fill us in on how upgradeable macbooks are?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
HDD, and RAM is pretty much the only parts that can be upgraded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Man you don't sleep do ya?!?! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.