• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Issues while exporting

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a project which runs for about 9 minutes, but when i export it to a .mov file with HDV 1080P30 setting and I have done this twice.. it only exports 7:42 minutes and the last minute or so is cut out. I dont really know what is happening can u help me?

-A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Exporting from what software? Have you tried a different codec just to see if the result is different? How big is the file that is exported?

P.S. This kind of issue is usually tough to figure out.

OP
A
Reaction score
I am using Final Cut Pro 7 and the codec is apple pro res 4444 and into hdc 1080p30

OP
A
Reaction score
help

After playing around with the exporting here is what I found out...

If I export it into an .mov file using the "current setting" it exports the full movie but if i change the current settings to "hdv 1080p30" or dchdvrp 1080p30 onlt exports 7:12 minutes..

I dont want to use current settings because when i upload it on vimeo or motion box is doesn't recognize it, any ideas??

Current Settings codec: apple pro res 444
here is something which I tried.. remember how i mentioned in the above post when i export using the current settings (apple pro res 444) it give the entire 9 minutes movie.. so I created a new project and imported that 9 minute clip and then tried exporting it to HDV 1080p30.. it only gave me 7:42 again !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Honestly, you wouldn't want to use hdv or dchdvrp either; from what I had read about HDV in the past, based upon its bitrates, it seems that even that would be a fairly large file (albeit a lot smaller then ProRes).

Your best bet would probably be to export the video with current settings then use compressor (or use the export to compressor function within fcp7) to create a mp4 or .mov that is h.264 (I don't know the new compressor options, so I don't know what containers/formats are offered, in my version of compressor from FCS2 I could do a h.264 .mov, but I don't have an option for a h.264 .mp4 - well, at least I haven't found it yet in my compressor, but you have a newer version)

JMHO.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Nethfel,

i did what u suggested about the compression and used H.264 and it worked now i can export the entire 9 minute project!!! i wonder why was it cutting out on hdv 1080p30..

-A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Honestly, I don't know - it really shouldn't have been. The reasons I recommended using a different format includes: You'll find more upload sites support mp4 or .mov format,
if you have to give the video to someone there is probably a 90% chance, unless they have final cut, or have paid for the HDV codec, they won't be able to play the file and of course, the .mp4 or .mov in H.264 is probably a significantly smaller file size (although you may end up needing to tweak the bitrates to make sure compressor doesn't choose too high or too low of a bitrate).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The mystery here is the 7:42 export time limit. I'd go to the Apple FCP forums and ask there or some other site with many more pros. Perhaps you'll find that one person out of the bigger population who knows the answer.

Also, this sounds like a bug to me. So file a bug report.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.