Macbook- Dead logic board. Can I get anything off the hard drive?

Reaction score
I've gotten a new computer and I just want the files off the old Macbook drive. Any way to do this myself? I read something about a cord that allows you to hook it up via USB, but I'd have to remove it. I'd rather not go back and pay the Apple store. Thanks for any help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've gotten a new computer and I just want the files off the old Macbook drive. Any way to do this myself? I read something about a cord that allows you to hook it up via USB, but I'd have to remove it. I'd rather not go back and pay the Apple store. Thanks for any help.

If the logic board is dead...most likely nothing on your MacBook will work. Your best option (and probably only option) is to remove the MacBook's hard drive, and install it into an external hard drive enclosure...then hook it up via USB to your new computer.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sure. You can certainly do it yourself very easily. Just purchase an external USB hard drive case - must be SATA and for 2.5" drives. I've seen cases like that in Fry's Electronics for as little as $9.95. (no frills)

Remove the old hard drive from your dead machine, place it in the case, and attach it to your new Mac. Copy whatever you need to your new machine. When you have all your need, use Disk Utility to erase the drive, format it as HFS+ GUID, and then use it for backup or Time Machine backup on your new machine.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
For what it's worth.. you can even use the migration assistant to move all your apps ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
The very same thing happened to me about a month ago. Once I got my new computer set up, I moved all my files from the old hard drive (which should be perfectly fine) onto my new computer and reformatted it to use as an external backup. As has been said above, you can get a USB connector very easily.

As far as removing the hard drive goes, that's very simple. I'm not sure how it works on the new Macbooks, but if you have an old (white, removable battery) MacBook, the process is super simple. All you need to do is: 1.) remove the battery, 2.) unscrew the 3 screws you see nearer to the middle of the computer with a mini Phillips head (removing them and the bar they're attached to exposes the RAM cards), 3.) pull out the hard drive using the small tab and, 4.) remove the drive from the mounting bracket with a mini hex screwdriver. You can then attach it to the USB connector and move your files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.