LCD projector and MBP

Reaction score
Hey guys -- I just received my first MBP, which I purchased with the primary purpose of using it for teaching using Powerpoint. Previous advice I have received from these forums indicated I would need to purchase and adaptor to be able to connect the MBP to the projector, which is not a problem.

However, in anticipation of my first use of my MBP for an upcoming seminar, I've been looking on the web for any issues I may encounter. I have come across several sites that discuss problems in using the MBP with LCD's, citing things such as compatibility issues, use of "mirror imaging", etc. Needless to say, it has me more than a little concerned.

Can anyone give me information on any compatibility issues I need to look out for, and what I need to do to my new MBP to "prepare" it for use with the LCD?

Thanks guys; it is extremely important that everything go smoothly, as this is the first seminar I am presenting with this new company I signed on with!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The thing to keep in mind is that a projector when hooked to any computer whether it be a Mac or PC acts like an external display. With the correct adapter and cable to your projector from your MBP, you shouldn't have any difficulty setting it up. (famous last words...)

A lot depends on the projector - its native resolution, input connectors, and so on. Provide yourself plenty of time to do dry runs and get used to the projector. Projectors can get fairly complicated with the array of menus to step through. And.. (important) make sure you use the "mirror" option from your MBP otherwise you'll be struggling with the display.

You didn't say which projector you have or which MBP you purchased, but as far as compatibility issues go: pay special attention to the adapter you need, cable, and which input to the projector you'll be using. One more thing... if you intend to provide sound, make sure you understand how to get sound from your MBP to the projector and\or audio system.

And... practice, practice, practice. :)

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks chscag!
Therein lies all of my stress...I do not have access to the LCD, as the company I am working with sends a projector from their office, so I won't be able to try it out prior to that day! Ugh!!

You mentioned needing to use the "mirror" option...how do I set that preference on my MBP?

BTW -- I have a brand new (just got it 5 days ago!!!!) 13" MBP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I feel for you... :[ Putting forth a successful slide show presentation is not something you can do on the spur of the moment. Anyway, to put the projector in "mirror" mode you need to open System Preferences, Displays. Then click on "Detect Displays". Your projector should be detected. Once it's detected you can set the resolution and mode. The resolution of the projector (native resolution) is important because an incorrect setting here will cause distortion.

Now you can choose "mirror" mode. That will allow you to see the same video on screen as what your MBP is showing.

Man, if there is any way you can practice before hand, do so. Also, might be a good idea to have someone help you who has experience working with projectors.

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You at least need to know what type of connections are available on the projector prior in order to know what cables you will need.

The mirroring mode will be in the Displays preference pane - Appearance tab - after it has detected the external monitor - it's a check box called 'Mirror Displays'

If you have multiple options for connections, in that setting I'd recommend VGA or DVI, not HDMI.

If whoever is in charge of the projectors doesn't know, get the make and model # so you can research it yourself.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks guys!!
I am heading to the Apple store today to buy one of the adaptors.

I will email the AV guy with the company and get the specifics of the projector, and post the information here to see if you have any last minute suggestions.

I really appreciate the help you guys have provided!

OP
S
Reaction score
One last question...
On my PC laptops, I would have to hit "F5" to use the LCD; do you have to do anything similar on the MBP, or does it automatically recognize it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.