Went from PC to Mac today!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
I have been using Windows XP/Vista/2000 for several years. Today it was time to get Windows 7 on a new desktop. I was walking through PC World and there it was! A 24" iMac with my name on it. After discussing its rather large price tag, I went for it. I wasn't really sure what to expect as I have never used Mac OS before but oh my god it is unreal!! It is an amazing piece of kit but with the Apple website being the default homepage I saw the brand new 27" Quad Core and couldn't believe what I had just done. Went back to PC World and explained my situation and luckily I got on well with the Manager who assisted me with the sale earlier on. He said "don't worry, carry on using it as normal and in a week or 2 when we get the 27 inches in I can swap it over for you". Now my only problem is do I go for the quad Core? I play games such as Runescape (feel free to laugh) and do a lot of video/film making for youtube. I have also noticed that the quad cores have a 2.8ghz and the dual cores have a bigger 3.33ghz, why is this and is it a downside for the quad core in any way? My last uncertainty is if I download songs from limewire on my old laptop then put them on my iphone, can any of the virus-infected songs transfer onto my imac if I connect my iphone up with it?

Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
I'd find out pcworlds return policy asap. If you want the 27" I'd return it now!

OP
Mint
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
I'd find out pcworlds return policy asap. If you want the 27" I'd return it now!

Nothing to worry about, the Manager at the store said that as soon as they get the 27" in stock I can do a straight swap. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The dual core should be way sufficient for the things you want to do on the machine.
Apart form playing games i can do all that on my White Macbook late 2008.
Its more of a personal choice ATM.
On the LIMEWIRE thing we dont speak of illegal activity on here BC of @Copyright laws so you wont get anyhelp on that question..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
He didn't say he was downloading music that wasn't intended to be free. Assumptions assumptions. Hehe. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say, yes it might transfer the infected song onto your Mac, but that virus isn't going to do anything on your mac.

As for the 2.6GHz i5 processor speed, it's 2.66GHz with all 4 cores running, and can ratchet up to 2.8GHz and 3.2GHz as cores become idle.

Also, may I recommend Acquisition for Mac P2P. If anybody has a better Mac P2P program right now, please feel free to share. I've been looking for a while, and Acquisition used to be quite good, but it's since crapped out a bit in terms of its ownage. I used to have a license for it too, but then they did an upgrade that wouldn't let me keep my license... which is crap since I should have gotten free lifetime upgrades when I paid the dang 30 bucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
He didn't say he was downloading music that wasn't intended to be free. Assumptions assumptions. Hehe. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say, yes it might transfer the infected song onto your Mac, but that virus isn't going to do anything on your mac.
Tsk Tsk will wrap myself on the knuckles.... Jus the wrath of mods .... Scary..... ;P

Also, may I recommend Acquisition for Mac P2P. If anybody has a better Mac P2P program right now, please feel free to share.
Have you looked at transmission ?? Works well... Download Transmission

Cheers

Edit : What bittorrent client you use ?? Piratebay or BTJunkie here

OP
Mint
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
Sorry about mentioning limewire but although I can afford a 2k iMac I still don't really have the cash to purchase 100's if not 1000's of songs so free downloads is the only option I have. ;P I will run everything I use on a day to day basis all at once! If even that doesn't exceed my current iMac's power then maybe a 27" lesser model would be ideal even though I always like to have the better model. How can I find out all the CPU details on the mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How can I find out all the CPU details on the mac?

Click the  logo top left, then About this Mac which will give you the basics, and for the whole kit and kaboodle of your system. More Info

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Transmission I have checked out, but I'm not so much looking for a torrent client as a more old school P2P type deal (think limewire-esque).

OP
Mint
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
Ok, I did this all at once on my 24" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3:

Playing and loading a music video on youtube
Playing on Runescape (an online game)
Downloading a massive itunes update
Had iPhoto/GarageBand/iMovie/iTunes open

And my CPU usage reached 70-80% at times but stayed stable at around 50% a lot of the time.

My question is, which 27" do I go for? All the things I had open/running was much more than I would normally have going all at once but I might start using more intensive applications in my future mac computing life. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Ok, I did this all at once on my 24" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3:

Playing and loading a music video on youtube
Playing on Runescape (an online game)
Downloading a massive itunes update
Had iPhoto/GarageBand/iMovie/iTunes open

And my CPU usage reached 70-80% at times but stayed stable at around 50% a lot of the time.

My question is, which 27" do I go for? All the things I had open/running was much more than I would normally have going all at once but I might start using more intensive applications in my future mac computing life. :p

If you plan on using more graphic intensive programs for video editing and possible rendering then i would go for the quad core, especially if you can afford it. In regards to the processor speed think of it this way a dual running at 3.0 is like running two at 6.0 as opposed to a quad with a 2.88 its equivalent to 11.52.... kind of =P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... not quite... actually, not even. If you think of it as bandwidth instead of frequency, then sure. Of course the i5 and i7 are smart chips and can reroute energy to increase clock speed per core if all 4 cores aren't needed. The i5 runs at 2.66GHz/core if running all 4 cores, 2.8GHz/core if running 2 cores, and 3.2GHz if running one core. The i7 at 2.88GHz can ratchet up to 3.2 and 3.4GHz accordingly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.