Over Heating and Running Slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB of RAM 250GB HD
I have a MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Processor with 4GB or RAM and 250 GB HD. My computer was runner great 6 months ago and then it started to over heat and get hot without having to do much. as a result of the heat the computer is now running slow. i am just wondering what the problem could be. i have checked for the piece of plastic that blocks the vent there was none and i have also checked for viruses with ClamXav. there was one Trojan virus that i got rid of but still things go slow and over heat. anyone know what is going on with my machine?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Processor with 4GB or RAM and 250 GB HD. My computer was runner great 6 months ago and then it started to over heat and get hot without having to do much. as a result of the heat the computer is now running slow. i am just wondering what the problem could be. i have checked for the piece of plastic that blocks the vent there was none and i have also checked for viruses with ClamXav. there was one Trojan virus that i got rid of but still things go slow and over heat. anyone know what is going on with my machine?

Download smcfancontrol and see if your fans are still working. I found out both of my fans were dead. It lets you play with the fan speed too.

Also, check your printer queue - print jobs get stuck and cause high-CPU utilization. If there is a job in the queue, delete it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the input

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah my fan works fine i can hear it every time it gets hot. and i my printer queue is empty. any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
I'm not sure what problem you have that's making it run slow, but the fan RPMs you noted and temp. when watching videos is normal.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Merged Duplicate threads

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.