How Hot Does Your MacBook Get

Reaction score
I just got my new white unibody macbook and i wanted to know how hot some of your macbooks got just to have some comparison. I am running SMC Fancontrol and it shows that my macbook gets 102 F. Also how safe is it to use smc fancontrol and what is a safe speed to set the fans at???

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The fans are thermostatically controlled by SMC. When you run SMCFanControl, you're basically usurping that control, which is largely unnecessary and can cause unnecessary wear on your fans. If the machine wasn't running within tolerances, it would shut down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
I too have smcFanControl and mostly use it to let me know the temp. and fan speeds. My MBP usually idles around 120-130F and 150-175F under strain. I don't have any facts to back this up, but personally I would start worrying about the temp. once/if it gets to about 180-200F. I'm not sure if that's still safe for the CPU, but I wouldn't like it and would shutdown or put a fan on it to cool off. 102F is very cold for a CPU lol. The only time mine is that low is when I first open it from sleep overnight. Like cwa107 said, you machine will know when it needs to shut-off from high temp. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
If your computer gets too hot it will shut down. If it isn't shutting down then I wont worry about fans speeds and what not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.