itune Library on External Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hi Forum,

I just changed over from a PC to a MacBook Pro. On a PC I kept my itunes library on 3 WD passport external hard drive. Because I only had a 130 GB hard drive in my PC. I want to do the same thing with my MacBook Pro but it is not working. Why can I move the itune file info into itunes leave the data on the hard drives? Or why can't I change the location of the library on the MacBook to portable Hard drive?

Thanks,

Robby
Madison, New Jersey

Reaction score
@clayneal
Thanks for the how to..helped
noddingsmile.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
You said you've recently switched from Windows OS to Mac, so I am assuming your externals are formatted with NTFS? If this is the case you will not be able to write to those hard drives because the OS only has read capabilities, which would be why you're unable to move the library location. To fix this, you have a couple of options. The first would be to format your externals to HFS+ and then transfer your whole library over, or you can purchase a nice software called Paragon which allows the Mac OS to read and write to NTFS filing structure.

However, if its formatted with FAT32/HFS+ you should be able to and we will have to troubleshoot further. Keep us posted!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.