Safari and Mail icons randomly disappear from dock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.8ghz, 4gb RAM, 500GB HD & iMac G5 17" 1.8ghz 2GB RAM, 300GB HD
I just bought my new MBP a few weeks ago and have noticed that when I power or wake it from sleep occasionally the the Safari or Mail...never both at the same time.....icons are missing from the dock. Now I know I don't make the mistake of swipping them from the dock, so what gives? You folks have any ideas? Thanks for the help. E

T

todd51

You probably accidentally dragged them off the Dock, which removes them. If the applications are open, they will appear in the Dock, but when you quit them, they will disappear. If you want them to stay there, you have to "dock" them by going into the Applications folder, and just drag it back on there. I know they are there by default, but you might have accidentally removed them.

OP
17MBPro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Man I swear I don't do that, but then again I am new to the trackpad since coming from an iMac. My wife called me this morning freaking out because safari was gone and she couldn't get her facebook on. This has happend to me a few times as well. I will have to be more conscience of this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
There really ought to be a "Keep Docked" option in the contextual menu. Then you'd have to disable it before dragging something off the Dock. Sure, it's simple enough to put it back, but it could become very annoying if you find yourself losing things frequently.

OP
17MBPro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So is that a Jobs or Schiller request? wink...wink!

Reaction score
Man I swear I don't do that, but then again I am new to the trackpad since coming from an iMac. My wife called me this morning freaking out because safari was gone and she couldn't get her facebook on. This has happend to me a few times as well. I will have to be more conscience of this.

The trackpad does throw people off sometimes. In any case, if you find Safari off the Dock, just open up Finder, then Applications (or go to the Applications folder on the Dock, right side of the line, and open it up from there). And of course, while you're doing that, drag Safari to the Dock and tell it to stay there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Already done for managed User accounts - copy this whole line in Terminal for admin accounts:

defaults write com.apple.dock contents-immutable -bool true
killall Dock

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.