Replacement Macbook screen

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm new here, just got a Mac.

It's a 13" Macbook which I bought off a friend with a smashed screen. I've got the dead one out and I've got a quick question - does it have to be replaced by the same model of panel? It's a Chi Mei, and there's a lot of Macbook LG screens on Ebay but no Chi Meis.

Thanks in advance! :)

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm new here, just got a Mac.

It's a 13" Macbook which I bought off a friend with a smashed screen. I've got the dead one out and I've got a quick question - does it have to be replaced by the same model of panel? It's a Chi Mei, and there's a lot of Macbook LG screens on Ebay but no Chi Meis.

Thanks in advance! :)
A quick Google search turns up some for sale...
one of which is here.
The description states the different manufactures panel are all interchangeable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would stay away from purchasing a screen replacement from places like eBay or Craig's list. Mostly because it can become a nightmare trying to return it if it shouldn't work.

Go to iFixit: Apple Mac, MacBook, iPod, and iPhone Repair Parts and find your model and the exact screen replacement. Their parts are fully warranted and can be returned with no hassle. Might be more expensive but worth it.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks! Great forums you have here.

I bought a direct replacement from the UK, where I live. Hopefully it should be here in a few days.

However, the Macbook won't be replacing my Dell D630 as it's not built as well (no LCD protection, bendy lid, small hinges, no PCMCIA, no interchangeable bays, no docking station etc.) although I do like the magnetic DC plug...a Macbook Pro is on my wishlist now! I only wish Apple would put Home and End on their laptop keyboards too...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.