iphoto 5 - reinstalled OS and need to import previous library and folders for iPhoto

Reaction score
I had my iphoto set up into individual folders e.g. holidays, events, family etc. In those folders I had individual albums for different events/topics. I backed up my whole library on 3 separate DVDs by selecting the folders in the left hand side of iphoto and clicking share>burn disc for each of the folders to burn that whole folder to a DVD. I then reinstalled my whole mac, thus deleting all data from it.

When I tried to import these back to iphoto from the DVDs the photos as a whole seem to import ok but all the albums have gone: for 2 of the DVDs, when I see the DVD in iphoto I can only see the folder names not the individual albums (although in the information box at the bottom left of iphoto it tells my how many albums there are), and the 3rd DVD DOES show the album names but when I import I lose all the names and management of them again.

I want my iphoto library to be as it was before with the folders and the various albums within those folders. Is it something I've done wrong when backing up or can this not be done? I am using iphoto 5 on Leopard Mac OSX 10.5.8.

If anyone can help with this, I would be very grateful as it is causing much frustration! Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
Do you mean iphoto '08 version 5 or 7.1.5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
Okay Im not to sure then but do you have the latest updated version?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.