Running windows via Boot Camp on an external drive

Reaction score
Ok, so repartitioning my drive is going to be a major pain. The only reason I want to use Windows is to some simple gaming, Steam and Hitman and whatnot. My question is, if I bought a USB external, and connected it to my White Macbook, could I then use bootcamp (or not even need to) and install Windows on that external and play games on it? Would I experience a performance decrease because I am playing off of an external hard drive in my games? Thank you in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot Camp will only work on drives that are installed internal to the system. If you had a Mac Pro for example, you could use BC to partition a second drive and install Windows on it.

Another reason it can't be done is that without special hacks Windows can not be installed to an external drive.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
chscag is right. You won't be able to install it on USB external. You may be able to on an eSATA connection. Bootcamp will not help you in this case, since it can only partition the internal drive.

On a related note, it'll be EXTREMELY slow. USB 2.0 is extremely slow, You probably won't be able to play games because of visual tearing. VSync may help. Again, I don't know who has a similar setup so I can not definitively answer the question on performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.