would like to tap into the potential of the machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 in MacBook Air, 4 Gb RAM
I have a 15 in. Macbook Pro that I pretty much just use for e-mail and surfing the web. I would like to tap into the potential of the machine and do some projects of some sort. Does anyone have any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a 15 in. Macbook Pro that I pretty much just use for e-mail and surfing the web. I would like to tap into the potential of the machine and do some projects of some sort. Does anyone have any ideas?

Kind of an unusual question!

It's sort of like asking someone..."What should I do with my life?";)

With your computer you just do what you want to do...whatever you're into...such as:

- gaming
- build a webpage
- track personal finances
- store digital photos
- store videos
- watch DVD's
- mp3 library

- what the heck...if you aren't already married, you could search for a wife (eharmony.com)!;);) That could be a pretty important project!;)

Or just do what you're already doing (like many of us)...just use your computer for e-mail & surfing the internet. Surfing the internet is a VERY broad activity...which can involve 1000's of different interests you may have.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 in MacBook Air, 4 Gb RAM
haha, it didn't come out quite like i wanted it to. I guess I don't even know what I'm trying to say. Good tips though, thanks... Anyone want to share some projects that they do?

Reaction score
Not sure if this is what you mean but there are a number of organizations that can use the computational power of you computer. One example is SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence). Check it out. If aliens aren't your thing, I'm sure there are others.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
haha, it didn't come out quite like i wanted it to. I guess I don't even know what I'm trying to say. Good tips though, thanks... Anyone want to share some projects that they do?

No problem! Sometimes the same statement or question can mean different things to different people.:)

- Nick

Reaction score

Download the screen saver from SETI or find one of the research projects that use personal computers for massively parallel processing. They use the "unused" CPU horsepower of personal computers during their idle time to crunch number for huge projects. Once you log in, they send data to your PC, they use your unused CPU cycles to crunch the data, and send it back up.
There was some big math project that broke some 500 year old math problem this way. They gave the guy who was CPU came up with the final answer $50k or something as a "reward" for his participation in the project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Grab a stills camera and make a stop-motion film using iMovie and create the DVD in iDVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.