Needs a new logic board?? I dont think so.

Reaction score
Hey Sup,
Recently I took my Mac Book Pro 2007 to the apple store to get it looked at, it started up and as soon as the fans started shut down again. I took my mac book pro appart and disconnected everything from the logic board.

I seemed to have missed the iSight camera, it remained unplugged. I turned the macbook on and it has worked perfectly non stop for over 2 weeks now. I plugged back in the webcam and it shutdown instantly again. I have had no problems what so ever with my mac now.

Try it before you go get a new logic board.

Kind Regards
Mark

Reaction score
Hey Markuss,

It sounds like you will be my life savior today. I have the same issue. If I press and release power button, it just starts and immidiately shuts down again. But if I press this button it starts loading fine for 5-7 secs.

Could you please describe more what you disconnected? I tried already HDD and DVD-Drive. Did you find exact component you get problem with?

ps. SOrry for my english :)

Aleks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I trust you know what your doing, but is mucking around with the logic board not basically asking for computer issues? Not to be critical, but I'm honestly just wondering...

Reaction score
Thats ok, i understand your point:Smirk: It is nothing to worry about on my side, since I am more than familiar with hardware manipulating, and that MACbook pro, I have problem with, is out of guarantee period too.

Two local apple stores said motherboard logic is "dead", which I dont believe to, since I SEE how that overal system is functioning at the moment. The new logic board costs around 600$-800$ so I decided myself to do a small investigation BEFORE replacing.

Probably I have to describe my problem more carefuly. Let me try:
My macbook model is A1260 with the following specs: MacBook Pro 15", Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz Penryn, 2Gb.
The problem occured after I did a "force shutdown", 10secs on the power button. Next time then I came back it wont boot up. And a little more information: AFAIR I had the similar problem before, but it disappear at the same day.
At that moment then I push and release powerbutton it trying to start, but does shutdown in a very small amount of time. Sometimes it even not possible see if it turnes on at all.
The next thing is, IF I push and dont release my finger from the power button, it starts booting normaly, but at the very late moment front tiny-light starts blinking and the whole system shutsdown again.

I did some manipulations already like:
1. Clear/reset using key combinations/hotkeys
2. Memory manipulation. If no memory at all - IT STARTS BOOTING NORMALY!!! and does "no memory" error sound
3. Disconnected HDD
4. Disconnected DVD drive
5. Disconnected all connectors on the board except: FAN's, display, keyboard, power connector, and one more hudge connector which is i dont know what is that for yet.

I found similar problems on the apple forums too. Here is my thread: Apple - Support - Discussions - MacBook Pro A1260 will not turn on! ...

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Sorry I didnt know there were any more posts on this topic.

What I did exactally was I took the entire keyboard and trackpad case off by following some simple instructions on google.. Just google 'how to open up macbook pro' and it will tell you. Then when you get to your logic board, Beside the fan on the top left behind some yellow tape was a small clip. I disconnected that and my laptop boots up perfectally. Havn't had one problem what so ever. If you want anymore help then feel free to ask.

Reaction score
Hey fellas!

I am working on my Mom's Macbook Pro, which is the same make/model as Markuss'. Not sure what she was thinking, but she checked it in at the airport, and the corners got a little bent up. The book worked for about a week, and then poof, it quit working altogether. The light on the latch comes on, and the CD/DVD drive starts spinning, the fans under the keyboard spin as well. The battery charges, but there are no lights on the keyboard, or on the apple on the outer cover, and the video doesn't work. There are no other sounds either. I have plugged a monitor in along with external speakers but to no avail. After doing a bit of research, I looked on iFixit: Do-it-yourself Mac & iPod Repair take this bad boy apart and check things out. I wanted to make certain the power connection was plugged into the board underneath. Does this mean the logic board is toast? I even tried the steps mentioned above but no dice. I really hate to fork out 800 bones for a new logic board if I absolutely don't have to... What are your takes on this felles?

I greatly appreciate any advice or info you could throw my way.

Reaction score
Hi Markuss,

I disconnected all connectors at this corner now. FAN as well. It doesnt not help.
Can you please describe here your symptoms more carefuly please?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.