Macbook (white) won't charge

Reaction score
Hey

My 2 year old White Macbook (Core2duo), started acting weird a month ago. Suddenly the LED in the charger stopped showing green/orange - but it still charged just fine.
Then a week later, it stopped charging, and the only way to make it charge, was to push the magsafe charger, hard into the charge port in the computer.
That worked for like 2 weeks, and now it won't even charge that way! It's completely dead..

The computer boots just fine running on battery.

I've taken the computer apart, changed the internal magsafe board and I'm using another charger (Which is working on other machines). But yet still no light in the charger and it doesn't charge..

Of course my MacBook is just out of warranty

It started 2 days after I've installed snow leopard. Could that have anything to do with it? Or is it just an incident?

Any good ideas?
Thanks in advance :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like there is :(

Anyone got a schematic of the Macbook or something then?
I would like to see where i can put an external charger on. Maybe where the battery is plugged in. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
I doubt it would have anything to do with the new OS, its probably just a coincidence. It's most like your power port, unfortunately if its out of warranty and you dont have Apple Care you may have no choice but to try and fiddle with it. However, if you are inexperienced i would try to find an apple tech.

OP
W
Reaction score
I know, and because of that I'm ready to fiddle with it :) Doesn't matter if something happens to it any more :Grimmace:

I'm experienced and my dad is a technical ingeneer, so we should be able to make something :)

And that's why it would be nice to have a schematic on how the computer / battery works with input/output and so on.. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I don't know what you've tried already, but just about the same thing has happened to me twice. Once, one of the pins was damaged on the cord, and had to be replaced. The other time, the problem was between the power brick and the wall (not quite sure what that part's called), but the power brick itself was fine. From what you said, it sounds like you've got the former problem. I'm by no means an expert, but that's my best guess.

OP
W
Reaction score
I don't know what you've tried already, but just about the same thing has happened to me twice. Once, one of the pins was damaged on the cord, and had to be replaced. The other time, the problem was between the power brick and the wall (not quite sure what that part's called), but the power brick itself was fine. From what you said, it sounds like you've got the former problem. I'm by no means an expert, but that's my best guess.

yeah that's what I was thinking too.

Because of that i got hold of another charger (That works), and changed the internal magsafe board.
But still, no luck :(

Thanks for the reply though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Have you checked out ifixit.com yet? They probably have a map of your machine's guts for you. :) Good luck.

OP
W
Reaction score
Have you checked out ifixit.com yet? They probably have a map of your machine's guts for you. :) Good luck.

Yeah, I used the guide on ifixit when I took it apart..
But I can't seem to find any technical details ?
Could you maybe point me in the right direction? :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. What is your exact model? specs and year of release if you've got them? I can try to lend my services looking on google. My fiancee is studying and I'm extremely bored killing time. Maybe if we're both looking, one of us will find it.

OP
W
Reaction score
Hmm. What is your exact model? specs and year of release if you've got them? I can try to lend my services looking on google. My fiancee is studying and I'm extremely bored killing time. Maybe if we're both looking, one of us will find it.

Thanks a lot for your service :D

It's the white macbook, with the core2duo processor. (2 Ghz if that makes any difference)..

I think it's from late 2006, but I'm not 100 % sure.. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I keep looking and can't find anything :( I know it has to be out there.

OP
W
Reaction score
Yeah.. It can't be true that no one has it :(

Been looking ever since I've started this post, and still no luck.. :(

I'm tired of looking at my taken apart macbook next to me :D I want it to work again, so bad! :Grimmace:

But thanks for the effort m8! Especially when I'm a new user in here, really appreciated!
Makes me wanna use this forum after this :D (When I get this baby working, or buy a new mac ;))

Reaction score
I've had the exact same problem, and I'm a little tentative to take apart the Macbook unless I know what's happening. When I took it to the Genius Bar, the odd thing was they ran a diagnostic, and told me the battery was defective. When they tried a new battery, the light on the Magsafe went back on, and seemed to be able to charge the battery.

So I bought a 3rd party battery online, and plopped it in. Of course, it doesn't charge, no green/orange lights. It reads at 44%, and battery health monitor shows it can hold 103% of a charge. So it's pretty frustrating knowing that if I use the battery once, that's all it's good for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.