'Adding' External library to iTunes for the first time

Reaction score
So i recently did the Tiger to Snow Leopard upgrade. Tisk, yeah whatever. But i did the clean install option, and am having trouble with my itunes library. I had everything (music/storage on one partition and 'mac backup' on the other partition) on an external HD. So--i went to 'add' my music back to itunes, by looking to my external for the files. so i changed the iTunes media location from my internal drive to the location of the itunes music folder on my external. Problem is, the folder on my external is aobut 60 GB, where as in itunes it only showed up as about 30GB...anyone know where im going wrong here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Do you have a large amount of FLAC files stored on your external HD ? iTunes won't import those files natively. You'd have to use something like Fluke to do that.

Other than that, the only other suggestion would be to delete the iTunes xml file and such, then re-import everything from scratch. Time consuming for sure, but at least you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.