itunes 9 libary cannot be saved

Reaction score
i keep on getting an error for itunes

the itunes library file cannot be saved.An unknown error occurred (-48)

i tried changing folder and file permissions but that didn't work. And my computer has been starting up really slowly since this started, and has been sluggish.(Also i cannot get to apple.com, nor the itunes store, i wonder if it has something to do with genius. in fact ill turn it off see if that helps)

also i am using itunes 9.0.1 on a 2 ghz aluminum macbook, and i recently upgraded my HDD, but it was working before the problem started.

any help would be greatly appreciated

OP
F
Reaction score
lol i closed it and restarted it to see if the genius idea worked, and now i get

the itunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occurred (13014)

tried it twice and on the third time it opened. ***

ANd i turns out the genius idea didn't work

Reaction score
I got the same error for the itunes... unknown error occurred (13014)
Can any one help?

Reaction score
Solved... here is how...
Had the same issue. My iTunes Library is located on a NAS and after a recent restart, I got the 13014 error when attempting to start iTunes. Following the suggestions in this thread, I deleted the following two Genius related files in my iTunes Library folder:

iTunes Library Genius.itdb
iTunes Library Genius.itdb-journal

Once they were removed, iTunes started up without issue. No restart necessary.
I know it's a repeat of the previous suggestion, but I hope this helps.

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for months (heres to hoping for an Apple update fix). Thanks memopad for a successful solution.

Also, I found that the iTunes Library Genius.itdb file can stay. It seems to be just files with the extension *.itdb-journal that cause the problem. This includes any other files with that extension, not just Genius files (eg, I had to delete the file iTunes Extras.itdb-journal). As far as I can tell, the problem is with the journaling function of Mac OS formatted drives (HFS+), which windows format drives (such as FAT32 and DOS) do not support.

My drive was a network attached FAT32 drive, accessed from a Mac, however NAS HFS+ drives worked fine, and the FAT32 drive had the same problems when connected directly via USB. It would seem that this problem would be specific to a setup with a non-HFS drive used by iTunes run from a mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.