iCal alarm messages and plists

Reaction score
I am trying to find out what file or files control or keep track of ical alarm messages.

I am running 10.6.1 with deep freeze. I have moved the following ical files to a thawed partition so that I can retain data across restarts.

folder user>library>calendars
com.apple.ical.plist
icalexternalsync.plist
com.apple.ical.helper.plist

During restarts, a couple of the plist files regenerate. So, if it's one of these two files, I need to come up with a script that replaces the file every time I shut down, or something like that. I have done all sorts of tests, but I can't seem to figure out what file actually keeps track of the darn alarms. I just don't know how to tell what happens when I dismiss the alarm, so I can't find what I'm looking for.

Anybody have any clue what file relates to the alarm messages? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit to add...Post #1!!!!! Yay!!!

Reaction score
I would like to extend this question to see if anyone knows where the default "time until next reminder" info is kept. I am referring to the fact that only a very rigid set of times is allowed, such as 1 hr., 2 hr, 1 day, etc. If they're not built into the app, I'd like to know if there is a way of changing and/or extending the list. Hopefully, they can be changed permanently, but if not, I too will need to know if anyone knows how to retain by script or? as gadsden implies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I've tried to find where iCal stores things before, and have not narrowed it down. I gave up. If no one here knows, perhaps the iCal forum at the Apple Discussions Forum:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Forum Home would be a good source. And if anyone finds out, post the answer here too!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.