Problem Installing Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a second hand MACBOOK (Aluminium Body) but did not get any OS X dvds along with it. So had to install Windows to check the system and get things going. Windows Vista is running perfectly fine on this system with all the drivers installed.
I consulted Apple Service Center (for MAC OS X) and they told me that the cheapest way to get MAC OS X is to buy a single user version of Snow Leopard and then you can do a fresh installation of OS X on your system.

Now when I try to boot the system using the Snow Leopard DVD, the system first displays the apple logo screen and then it goes blank. Sometimes, the system flashes the 'Language Selection' screen for a couple of seconds and then goes blank. If I press enter at that stage, the next screen also flashes for a couple of seconds and then goes blank. Sometimes, the system just stays blank after 'apple logo' screen.

Can anybody tell me what's wrong? Do I have to remove windows before trying to install OS X or do I have to do some other setting first?

Again, the windows installation did not have any such problems nor is windows giving any problems while running.

Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What format is your system disk?

OP
T
Reaction score
How will I find out the format of my system disk?
If I want a complete erase (of Windows Vista) and install (mac os x) do I need to know the format of my system disk?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Hopefully some one with experience using bootcamp will come along and will be able to help you out on this.

Reaction score
More than likely if he installed Vista on a MacBook, it's NTFS/FAT 32 (one of those two). Unless he did use Boot Camp, then he's got a major problem here. What was the original version of Mac OS X before you installed Windows Vista?

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Chirs H.
I think the MacBook came with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. But when I installed windows vista, I completely erased the hard drive because the Mac OS X was not running properly and I did not have the Mac OS X dvd at that time.

OP
T
Reaction score
Just an update, if anyone can help.
I took my Macbook to Apple Center and there the guy removed the hard drive and erased (formatted) it externally from a Mac. They placed it back in the laptop and again we tried to install Mac OS X from DVD. It again showed the similar behavior, blank screen after the apple logo and spinning wheel. We tried booting up from usb disk but no success.

Then I reinstalled windows XP and it just went flawless, all drivers installed successfully and its working perfectly. No issues either during installation or post installation.

Can anybody suggest whats going wrong? Why am I unable to install Mac OS in a Macbook? It sounds really funny as well.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I find it interesting that the people at the apple center were not of much help, or couldn't identify the problem. Out of curiosity did they offer any help after seeing that you couldn't install the Mac OS on your MB?

I wouldn't have left there without the problem being solved.

OP
T
Reaction score
Person at Apple Center asked me to leave the laptop and they'll check it thoroughly but that was taking at least one week. And I cannot afford the one week lapse of my work so I decided to get back on Windows as it was working fine for me.

The point of asking about the issue on this forum is that if someone has faced a similar problem and can just give me a quick solution, I'll save a lot of time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.