Bootable BackUp External Hard Drive

Reaction score
This is my first go at building a data backup system so please bare with me and my elementary questions. . .

I have a 1TB internal drive on my Mac G5 tower that I need to backup. I plan to use SuperDuper and two external 2TB drives to do this. Two drives so that I can always have a backup on site and a second backup somewhere else, in case, say, my house burns down:( FYI, the two external drives I plan to use are the G Technologies, G-Raid 2TB Dual Drive Storage System and the Western Digital, My Book Studio Edition II, 2TB Dual-drive Storage System with RAID. My question is this. . . I would also like my backup drives to be bootable (if the entire system goes down I'll always have a drive with an OS that I can boot off of, as well as all of my data). So how might I go about doing this? Can I initially partition each drive, dedicating 100GB as a disk mount, and the remaining space as a storage drive? Basically I've never partitioned a drive before, nor have I set up an external drive to be bootable as an OS, so I'm entering foreign territory on two fronts here. Thank you so much for your guidance.

Reaction score
This page will answer all of your questions about mirroring your drive to an external Firewire drive.

Hope this helps:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And firewire is the only reliable bootable external drive. USB, even USB2 will generally not boot PowerPC models, only Intel. Dual Core machines, late 2005 with DDR2 memory and PCIE graphic cards allegedly are bootable with a Firmtek SeriTek SE2 PCIEE Controller Card to an external SATA drive but mine just refuses to boot that way, firewire only.

Have always found the external drive must be Apple Partition Mapped, even if only one partition is selcted at the time of formatting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.