• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Studio serial number error

Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with Final Cut Studio rejecting a Final Cut serial number. We have a Mac G5 and just got a new Mac Pro. The G5 has Final Cut & DVD Studio Pro on it. Legitimate copies with legitimate serial numbers.

Since the computer is an older model with a Motorola-based chipset and the software is too old to work with some of the newer file formats we decided to buy the Final Cut Studio upgrade (spoke with the Apple rep at the time who assured me that you can upgrade from any non-academic version). I went to install Final Cut Studio on the new Mac Pro but when I entered the serial number from the old Final Cut I got an "invalid serial number" error. I have no idea where the actual disks are - we have moved since the original installation - even though I did find the box and the manuals so I read the serial number off the opening Final Cut screen of the G5. The serial number format is: X-000-XXX-000-XXX-000-XXX-000-XXX-XXX (with the Xs representing letters and the 0s representing numbers). Even if I did find the original disks I don't think I could install the old Final Cut first and then use the upgrade disks as the new machine probably can't read stuff meant for the old machines. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'm sure I've heard of this and I think the solution is to call Apple.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe that the old version must be installed in order to install the upgrade. Like xstep suggested Apple is the best place to get the answer to your question.

OP
mokoosh
Reaction score
Final Cut Studio serial number error - follow-up

Just wanted to let everyone know that I figured this out eventually. The problem was ... ME! Duh! Most of the upgrade software I used in the past just wanted the serial number for the original full version. So that's what I was typing in. Turns out that for Final Cut Studio there is an upgrade serial number on the back of a little booklet. You have to enter this when you are first prompted and after it accepts the number you are prompted for the serial number you originally had. Did I ever feel stupid on the phone with Apple. Told the guy I was sorry for wasting his time and that I would just hang up now. Lol. Embarrassing. The Apple support folks are so nice though.

Thanks for the replies and for trying to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.