Magic Mouse Lag

Reaction score
Just bought the new imac 27". It comes standard with the new "Magic Mouse", which I like the look, feel & functionality of, but it frequently has an irritating lag associated with it. I tried adjusting the speed but with no improvement. Is anyone else experiencing this, and is there anything else I should try doing?

Thanks!

Reaction score
What exactly do you mean by lag? Like, do you feel that it is not responsive or does the cursor only move a certain distance across the screen? I read a review somewhere that the 27 inch iMac is so huge that even when you move your mouse from one side to the other physically, the cursor is only going to reach 2/3 of the way across the screen or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD
Maybe try some new batteries.

OP
T
Reaction score
By "lag" I mean often you move the mouse but the cursor doesn't immediately move. It moves only after a fraction of a second, but it's enough to annoy the crap out of me. I did download the new associated software, but it did not improve things. The batteries are in good shape. Grrrrr!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does this happen after the mouse is not moved for a period of time? I am wondering if it's entering a sleep mode? My Logitech BT mouse does that to save batteries.

OP
T
Reaction score
No, it is not after the mouse has not been moved for some time. It happens at all times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late-2008 MacBook Air with SSD.
FedEx just dropped off my magic mouse. Interesting as the packaging did not include the ubiquitous white box. Mouse was inside an oval plastic case surrounded by solid packing foam. They must be pushing these out before they are totally boxed. Up I also like that there was less wasteful packaging than I've seen Apple use in the past.

Like some others have said in different threads, there seem to be a slight lag when scrolling up/down - but I assume I'll get used to it.

All in all, seems fine for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 6 Plus
Just got mine today, too. The same packaging style as jsamuels said. Maybe this is a new way of 'eco' packaging that Apple will standardize?

Anyhow, I am still at work and I have to go home first to try this mouse. At least my coworkers (window users) at the office were amazed by the sleek new look. They were, however, astounded by the price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
Just got mine today. I haven't experienced any lag with my 13 mid 2009 MBP. I have read that there are some issue with the new 27" imacs. It may be a system issue causing the lag, not the mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well on 10.5.1, for me I'm having to lag issues with it at all. And I have an old white C2D imac. Who knows why the lag is there for some people. Maybe the soon to be released 10.6.2 will fix that. As it will have the magic mouse drivers within the system update itself. Maybe an updated driver for the mouse with 10.6.2. Hopefully.

Still for me there is no lag. It just works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 6 Plus
To update, I do experience a lag when scrolling up and down. The mouse does not react immediately together with my finger movement. It is not a huge issue but it would be nice if it moves quickly. My OS is 10.5.8. I used a scroll button of Mighty Mouse to operate expose by pushing it but Magic Mouse won't do the similar. I think I will have to get used to it.

The biggest advantage is 'no more cleaning' of the scroll button. I became so expert to disassemble and clean the mighty mouse scroll button but no longer required to do so!!

Reaction score
Just bought the new imac 27". It comes standard with the new "Magic Mouse", which I like the look, feel & functionality of, but it frequently has an irritating lag associated with it. I tried adjusting the speed but with no improvement. Is anyone else experiencing this, and is there anything else I should try doing?

Thanks!

Apple will fix this issue quickly, hopefully. Does this problem go away when you restart and slowly return after some use? I understand your frustration, the movement lag is maddening. The scroll function may show a bit of lag, but movement of the cursor should be responsive and immediate at all times.

Just got mine today. I haven't experienced any lag with my 13 mid 2009 MBP. I have read that there are some issue with the new 27" imacs. It may be a system issue causing the lag, not the mouse.

I believe it IS the new mouse and associated software that is causing this. My 13" MBP began showing the very same issues as the the OP and other iMac users are seeing.

They began just after updating my mouse software and pairing up my Magic Mouse. I observed, via activity monitor, a major jump in CPU utilization by different apps (some over 105%) and all kinds of lag.

Removing the mouse completely from my bluetooth devices fixed the problem. Pairing the mouse up again causes problems to return between 1 and 8 hours later depending on usage.

I'm sure an update will be released, hopefully they nail the problem down quickly. My mouse is useless till then.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just purchased a new Magic Mouse. The Apple store was out of them so went up the street and Best Buy had 4 of them. No lag here.

So far really like it, I just hope Apple later adds a few more gestures that will enable Expose and Dashboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
I purchased the magic mouse from the apple store this weekend. I'm not experiencing any lag issues at all. The mouse works flawlessly, I just wish it was a little bulkier to fit my gorilla size hands

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I got my Magic Mouse last week from the NO Apple Store. Love it (and naturally thus need to post in every Magic Mouse thread) and have no lag with my 13" MBP. Got the update to have the right drivers, and it's been awesome.

As for the ergonomics I've seen a lot of people complain about, not seeing it. This is a mouse that just requires a gentle grip using your fingers to move it and not your entire hand/wrist. I do miss the squeeze button in one way since I used that with the Mighty (now Apple) Mouse for Exposé, but then again I often found myself inadvertently triggering it when lifting the mouse to traverse my external monitor; so in that way I don't miss it. I do miss the middle click, but the touch scroll makes up for it and I can retrain myself to use Command-click for middle button, and the 'right click' is set to invoke Exposé.

Overall it's an awesome mouse, and I drop it into my bag to take to work every day.

Reaction score
i hate to bump an old thread, but curiosity got the best of me. does anyone else aside from me have issues with the "right click" on the magic mouse?? like sometimes it doesn't work at all, and it left clicks instead. i called the customer service about 2 or so weeks into ownership, because it was making me crazy. the guy walked me through the update (had no idea they had updates on the website like that), and it worked great for about 5 minutes before not working again. don't get me wrong, the right click function works, but it doesn't work every time. it really still bothers me because i tend to open like 10 tabs at a time whenever i'm online.

i did talk to a guy at the apple store where i purchased my computer, and he said he hadn't heard of it before. he also said to bring it with next time i was at the store so they could test it. he said that if it was a legitimate problem, they'd replace it for me. my only concern is that the thing will probably work flawlessly in the store and i'll look like a fool. :D

Reaction score
Magic Mouse Lagging

I just bought a spanking new magic mouse and it's also lagging. I have a black mouse pad on there which makes it lag. I think it could be the surface that makes it lag. Tested different surfaces and some are better then others when
it comes to lagging. I noticed if I just use my desk that is dark stained wood with out no mouse pad works the best. Does anyone agree with me on this issue? If I am wrong then how do I get this lagging problem fixed?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.