I upgraded from 512mb to 1gb for my Mac mini...

Reaction score
I think it was well worth the money, I wish I would have went with 1gb to start with. I only paid about $97 shipped for it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Very good deal. What brand of RAM and where did you get it? I paid $114 a few weeks back for some PQI PC3200 at New Egg. Works Great.

OP
M
Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
Very good deal. What brand of RAM and where did you get it? I paid $114 a few weeks back for some PQI PC3200 at New Egg. Works Great.

I bought mine at newegg.com also. It is PC3200. The brand is Rosewill but it uses PQI chips.

S

sp44

Isn't it better to get 2.5 latency instead of 3 or is that just for higher end computers?

OP
M
Reaction score
sp44 said:
Isn't it better to get 2.5 latency instead of 3 or is that just for higher end computers?

I am pretty sure it will just run at 3 regardless, there isn't a way to adjust it on the Mac mini that I know of.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
mynameis said:
I am pretty sure it will just run at 3 regardless, there isn't a way to adjust it on the Mac mini that I know of.

I am pretty sure you are correct. I do not think it will make any difference on especially the Mini and will run at CAS3 the same way it runs at PC2700 on the Mini. Getting better RAM can not hurt but I doubt it will make any difference.

OP
M
Reaction score
rvr2k3 said:
What type of performance difference did you notice? Did apps speed up?

yes and no, if I am just running safari and iChat, there is really no difference, but when I start doing actual work where I'll have Dreamweaver, Fireworks, MS Word, and others all open at the same time, the difference is HUGE.

R

rvr2k3

mynameis said:
yes and no, if I am just running safari and iChat, there is really no difference, but when I start doing actual work where I'll have Dreamweaver, Fireworks, MS Word, and others all open at the same time, the difference is HUGE.

So the boot up time is the same. It's when you multitask that you see the performance. Does that sound right.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Multitask or Apps like Adobe Photoshop that take up a LOT of RAM. There is where I see a big difference, and even Imovie and Quicktime converting a large movie for burning to a DVD. Basic booting as long as you have 512Megs already does not really change.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.