13" MacBook Pro cleaning

Reaction score
Hi All

I recently purchased a 13" MacBook Pro (around a month ago). I have cleaned it several times but wonder if I may be doing it incorrectly. When I get crumbs, etc in the keyboard, I will use compressed air to blast it out, and then use a paper tower soaked with alcohol and wipe the keyboard and aluminum body clean. It seems to do a pretty good job. Could this be damaging to the notebook though? How do you guys clean yours?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
I wouldn't use the alcohol anymore if I were you, just a damp microfibre cloth would suffice.

I always keep food and drinks well away from my laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I wouldn't use the alcohol anymore if I were you, just a damp microfibre cloth would suffice.

I always keep food and drinks well away from my laptop.

Ditto all round here too. And just be careful with the compressed air too. Being at high pressure there is a very good chance that the crumbs could well be getting blown further in under the keys ??

To get the crumbs off try picking it up and turning it upside down. Truly portable then lol

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" | 250 GB ATA Drive | 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 | OS X 10.6.1
i have a moshi keyboard protector, and i just use the wipe that komes with the mac. that's basically it. if you have smudges on your palm area, i suggest using a magic eraser or buying a pam guard or something. ha

Reaction score
Hi All

I recently purchased a 13" MacBook Pro (around a month ago). I have cleaned it several times but wonder if I may be doing it incorrectly. When I get crumbs, etc in the keyboard, I will use compressed air to blast it out, and then use a paper tower soaked with alcohol and wipe the keyboard and aluminum body clean. It seems to do a pretty good job. Could this be damaging to the notebook though? How do you guys clean yours?

Thanks in advance
Here's a couple suggestions:
- Get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
- Stop eating with your mouth over the keyboard or typing with sticky jelly on your fingers.
- Stop touching the screen with your sticky fingers.
- Stop worrying about it.

If I have to clean the screen, I use Johnson's Baby shampoo (4 or 5 drops in a spray bottle - NEVER use liquid dish soap) with clean, cold water to clean my screen and case. Use a soft wash rag - like a face cloth - paper scratches the screen. If you like, add about 4 or 5 drops of Simple Green. Alcohol will eat the plastic screen over time.
I also use my air compressor in the garage to blow out the... crumbs (yeah, crumbs is a good description) from my keyboards. Sometimes it blows the key-tops off, but they press right back on. But, the bluetooth keyboard is pretty well sealed, so the ... crumbs... don't get down under.

Reaction score
If you like, add about 4 or 5 drops of Simple Green. Alcohol will eat the plastic screen over time.

The OP is talking about a MBP with a glossy screen, which is made of glass, so he would be okay, but I myself don't recommend using any form of alcohol.
You'll be surprised of what you can accomplish with just a damp microfibre cloth

And as for the blowing out the MBP keyboard, don't...
Keep crumbs out of there, as you yourself mentioned above.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Uni. 2.4/4GB/320GB/9600mGT 256MB
Anyone have glasses? Usually they'll give you a liquid, no-streak cleaner which i find works incredibly well on my uMBP. BTW i used the microfiber cloth that came with the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
i agree 100% with eskimo810. That glasses cleaner is a special solution which evaporates quickly, so it is hard for it to run down into your system, and it cleans great.

Reaction score
Just joined, so Hello all ;D

On the subject of cleaning would the likes of Sagrotan cleaner be ok. I use it on my iPhone 3G without any problems and previously on my old Acer notebook.

hyo

Reaction score
I use magic eraser. I make sure the eraser is squeezed out with barely a wetness and then wipe the computer down. After that, I dry off with a microfiber cloth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.