VMWare Fusion 3.0 - 64-bit: Anyone tried it yet?

Reaction score
VMWare just announced Fusion 3.0.

It is supposed to take advantage of Snow Leopard's 64-bit'ness.

Anyone bleeding-edge enough to have tried it yet?

$29.95 upgrade if you own Fusion 1 or 2.

Kind of a laugh - $25 to upgrade a complete OS (Snow Leopard) vs. $29 to upgrade an app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
I upgraded my licenses. It seems to be substantially quicker. I don't run any Windows VM's so I can't comment on the new Aero and other Windows7 support features.

One thing that is nice is the new menulet that allows quick access to the VM libraries on your machine.

Overall it seems like a solid upgrade.

OP
T
Reaction score
I upgraded my licenses. It seems to be substantially quicker. I don't run any Windows VM's so I can't comment on the new Aero and other Windows7 support features.

One thing that is nice is the new menulet that allows quick access to the VM libraries on your machine.

Overall it seems like a solid upgrade.
I run an XP VM for work - so I don't care about care about Aero either. I am just hoping for a faster XP VM

I assume you are running Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
I assume you are running Snow Leopard?

Yep. You might want to download the trial and give it a try just to see if it's worth the upgrade for you. I can't imagine VMWare would prevent this.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yep. You might want to download the trial and give it a try just to see if it's worth the upgrade for you. I can't imagine VMWare would prevent this.
Have to upgrade to Snow Leopard first. Bought the SL upgrade, but have to get everything ready before I try to update.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm running VMWare Fusion 3.0, but in 32-bit mode (I don't need to address more than 2GB of RAM in a VM). It's amazing that Aero works in Windows 7, but even more astounding is that I tried Half Life 2 and it's actually playable. Now, I have the resolution scaled back to 1280x800 and detail is turned down, but it's definitely playable - I'd say I'm getting upwards of 30fps, with very little stuttering.

I remember running Half Life 2 on my P4/2.8GHz desktop with a Radeon 9000 card, and it was roughly equivalent in performance to this VM.

Reaction score
I'm new to Apple with a Mac Mini. Everything Mac (Snow Leopard) works great. My virtual machine/ghost with VMware Fusion 3 is a disaster. I can't get anything to work: Can't unzip the tutorials, can't delete non-functioning apps with Task Manager; can't even close Task Manager. Ready to forget Fusion 3. Dealing with VM is next to impossible--send them a message about a problem and get a non-helpful response a day or two later and then repeat the cycle. It could be all my fault and wonder if anyone has any thoughts. BTW, read on a Fusion counterpart to this forum and one poster said that he had used Fusion 2 for a couple years with great success and nothing worked with Fusion 3.

My goal is to leave as much of the Microsoft world as I can as fast as I can, but some of my apps, such as Quicken will keep me in Microsoft until at least next February.

Bob Clerc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.