13' Aluminium Macbook Webcam and External Monitor Question.

Reaction score
Hello. I Read this forum quite a bit to get help with problems but this is the first time I have needed to post to get help. Would be great if someone could lend a hand!

This is my situation. I want to do live broadcasting of my DJ sets over the internet. I use an external monitor from my Macbook and I have the macbook lid closed.

I know the iSight is a very capable webcam but in my setup my laptop is closed and I need the webcam situated above my turntables anyway. The built in iSight just isn't practical.

So my question is, what would I need to buy in order to run a external webcam while the macbook is closed and using an external monitor? Will any 3rd party webcam work? Or do i have to buy the apple external iSight?
Does OSX support external webcams on macbooks?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks so much,
Lloyd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Sorry but I have just always wanted to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Now now, some people's Google-fu is only on the white belt level, so hence why we have this forum.

A Rocketfish webcam will work fine with a Mac, and I've gotten mine (which I bought for a Windows laptop provided by my employer) to work with my Macbook and two Minis one of which was mine, the other I had given to my parents so I bought them the cam so we could do video iChat. The one in the link is different from the model I got, but this one says it's MacOS X compatible so there is no reason to think it would not work. I paid $50 at Best Buy for the model I have, so this one should be about the same price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I know , I just had to do it once '

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.