• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Recording from DVR to Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if there was a way I could transfer recorded shows from my DVR to my Mac and then burn the shows to a DVD. It's a Motorola HD-DVR from Comcast.

This may be a dumb question but if the shows are in HD, and then burned to a DVD, would the burnt DVD play on an SDTV? I'd appreciate it if you guys let me know what computer programs/cables I would need. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You'll need to get a device that can record from the video and audio put out by the DVR. There are several options, but you'll have to really look for what you can use prior to selecting.

For example:

What kind of outputs does your HD-DVR have? Does it have only HDMI? Does it have component? Does it have s-video? Does it have just composite? Does it have left/right audio out only, or does it have optical out for audio?

Next is the software you will use - some of this will depend on the extent of the feature set you want, and how much you're willing to spend, and what hardware you want to use for the capture process.

For example, I know of off hand, 2 configurations that would work for me.

I have a Hauppauge HDPVR capture device and for TV service, I have an HD DVR from Direct TV. My HD DVR has component out, composite, HDMI, analog 2 channel audio, optical audio. I can hook up my Hauppauge to my HD DVR via component for HD video and optical audio for high quality digital audio that supports 5.1 sound.

To record off of the HD DVR through my Hauppauge, I have (that I'm aware of) 2 major choices in software for the mac:

HDPVR Capture from: steventoth.net » HDPVR Capture

and

EyeTV from: Elgato products

For me HDPVR capture is my best bet because it's inexpensive and really easy to use, and doesn't have extra features I just don't need. Once the video is captured, I can convert it, edit it, rescale it for SD to use on a DVD, etc.

I capture in HD because most of the time I don't put it on a DVD and I want high quality that I can play back on my home theater Mac.

Your choices may be different. For you, I'd probably look at EyeTV first since you don't appear to have any capture hardware and they have a large compatibility line listed here: EyeTV 3 | Technical Information of different capture devices. Elgato also sells some capture devices as well.

My choice was convenient since the Hauppauge was a carry over from when I switched from PC to Mac.

Hope this helps!

OP
M
Reaction score
You'll need to get a device that can record from the video and audio put out by the DVR. There are several options, but you'll have to really look for what you can use prior to selecting.

For example:

What kind of outputs does your HD-DVR have? Does it have only HDMI? Does it have component? Does it have s-video? Does it have just composite? Does it have left/right audio out only, or does it have optical out for audio?

Next is the software you will use - some of this will depend on the extent of the feature set you want, and how much you're willing to spend, and what hardware you want to use for the capture process.

For example, I know of off hand, 2 configurations that would work for me.

I have a Hauppauge HDPVR capture device and for TV service, I have an HD DVR from Direct TV. My HD DVR has component out, composite, HDMI, analog 2 channel audio, optical audio. I can hook up my Hauppauge to my HD DVR via component for HD video and optical audio for high quality digital audio that supports 5.1 sound.

To record off of the HD DVR through my Hauppauge, I have (that I'm aware of) 2 major choices in software for the mac:

HDPVR Capture from: steventoth.net » HDPVR Capture

and

EyeTV from: Elgato products

For me HDPVR capture is my best bet because it's inexpensive and really easy to use, and doesn't have extra features I just don't need. Once the video is captured, I can convert it, edit it, rescale it for SD to use on a DVD, etc.

I capture in HD because most of the time I don't put it on a DVD and I want high quality that I can play back on my home theater Mac.

Your choices may be different. For you, I'd probably look at EyeTV first since you don't appear to have any capture hardware and they have a large compatibility line listed here: EyeTV 3 | Technical Information of different capture devices. Elgato also sells some capture devices as well.

My choice was convenient since the Hauppauge was a carry over from when I switched from PC to Mac.

Hope this helps!

This is the back of my DVR box, I hope this helps narrow things down.

98bu4y.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, looking at the back, you can go with almost whatever you want, as long as it either:

records HD via component (the three RCA jacks in a column, the top one stating Y to the right of it, next one down Pb, etc.)

HD via HDMI (but would require disconnecting the cable box from your tv)

standard def via RCA composite (the top yellow rca jack on a column of 3 that has V to the left of it) or standard def via svideo (should provide a crisper SD image than the RCA jack)

And the audio your flexible on - either left/right analog, or S/PIDF via optical digital or copper (the orange jack above the fiber optic jack where it states Digital Audio)

So, at that point it's choosing how much you want to spend on hardware to make this happen. If you like the looks of the EyeTV software (which also allows you to do a certain amount of editing I think) Look at the Elgato list of hardware supported by the EyeTV then choose something in your price range. An SD device would require one less conversion on the computer, but an HD device would give you the highest quality for on computer playback (or playback on tv from computer). Prices vary greatly, but the average range I think is in $80 - $250.

T

todd51

This may be a dumb question as I don't have a DVR, so I'm not sure how they work, but couldn't he just plug the DVR into the MBP via FireWire ports? Wouldn't it show up then on the desktop as an external HDD?

Seems simple so it probably wouldn't work.

EDIT: cwa107, you beat me to it!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This may be a dumb question as I don't have a DVR, so I'm not sure how they work, but couldn't he just plug the DVR into the MBP via FireWire ports? Wouldn't it show up then on the desktop as an external HDD?

Seems simple so it probably wouldn't work.

It's not quite that simple, but it's close. The filesystem of the DVR's hard drive is encrypted and proprietary (much like the FS of an iPod). But by using the FW SDK, your Mac can control the DVR and force it to play and stream the content digitally to your Mac. At that point, you simply capture the stream.

It's a genuine pain in the rear - and there is some HD content that is locked down and you can't do a thing with it. But other than that, it works.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's not quite that simple, but it's close. The filesystem of the DVR's hard drive is encrypted and proprietary (much like the FS of an iPod). But by using the FW SDK, your Mac can control the DVR and force it to play and stream the content digitally to your Mac. At that point, you simply capture the stream.

It's a genuine pain in the rear - and there is some HD content that is locked down and you can't do a thing with it. But other than that, it works.

If I got a Firewire to USB cable, would that work, or should I get some other cable?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I got a Firewire to USB cable, would that work, or should I get some other cable?

I don't believe there is a Firewire to USB adapter.

You have a MacBook Pro, so it should have a Firewire port. Do you know which model of MacBook Pro you have? When was it purchased?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
From left: Ethernet; Firewire 800; USB; USB; Mini Display Port

OP
M
Reaction score
I don't believe there is a Firewire to USB adapter.

You have a MacBook Pro, so it should have a Firewire port. Do you know which model of MacBook Pro you have? When was it purchased?

Should I get a 9 pin to 6 pin firewire cable?
2drgpbr.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These are the firewire ports on your DVR box, Firewire is also known as IEEE 1394.

2009-10-28_1302.png

If it's a newer MacBook Pro, it only has a single Firewire 800 port. If that's the case, you'll need a FW400-FW800 cable. Older versions of the MacBook Pro had FW400 ports, so that should be a straight 6-pin to 6-pin.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should I get a 9 pin to 6 pin firewire cable?
2drgpbr.jpg

Holy cow - blow that thing out with some compressed air! Make sure you get the others as well and the vents at the rear.

You didn't mention what model of MacBook Pro that is. If it's a pre-unibody, it should have a FW400 port on it already.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Holy cow - blow that thing out with some compressed air! Make sure you get the others as well and the vents at the rear.

You didn't mention what model of MacBook Pro that is. If it's a pre-unibody, it should have a FW400 port on it already.

on the system profiler it says macbook pro5,1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting cwa, I had no idea that one could get the cable DVR to do that, very cool, glad you replied with that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.