AirPort signal thing jumps from three to two, all the time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5 2 GHz 20 inch- IPod Touch 2nd Generation
I can connect to the internet OBVIOUSLY! I KNOW my signal is strong, because my parents use the same internet as I do.

The problem is the signal thing jumps from three to two, all the time... some times it gets to one. I JUST Had my airport replaced. My internet seemed to be running a bit slower after that, now its almost like a very fast version of dial up. Meaning its fast, I CAN watch videos, and upload stuff at ease, but it still bugs me the fact that it IS acting wonky

But now I am confused. What could be causing this? I mean could it possibly not even be the AirPort itself, but the computer? Virus maybe? >.<GEEZ i hope not -.-

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But now I am confused. What could be causing this? I mean could it possibly not even be the AirPort itself, but the computer? Virus maybe? >.<GEEZ i hope not -.-

Of course it could be something else...your Airport card is not the only factor in determining the strength of the wireless signal you receive.

It could be:

- your too far from your wireless router for a strong signal
- too many walls or ceilings between you and the router
- you never mentioned what sort of wireless network you have (b, g, or n)
- you could have an older router only capable of a "b" wireless signal

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.