External HDD Not keeping view options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
So for some reason I have 1 external hard drive that acts rather odd. For some reason it will not keep the view settings or window placement. No matter what I do.

The drive has been doing this for as long as I can remember. When I mount the drive and then open it in Finder, the finder window will open toward the bottom around the dock level. Not how most other windows open, toward the center / top of the screen. I can move the window and then set the view options to sort everything by name, because the sorting is out of order as well.

The drive will be fine like this until I dismount it. Once I dismount and then mount it again, the settings are gone. Anyone have an idea why this will not keep settings? The drive is writable, I write files to it every so often.

I cannot figure what is wrong with it. I am half tempted to mirror it and then format it, but I thought I would see if anyone had any ideas before I go moving a couple hundred gigs of data to another drive.

Here's a video i took.

YouTube - HD bitterness
sorry for it not being full resolution, you can thank iMovie for cropping it off.

OP
Ghostshadow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I found a solution that seems to have worked for the most part. I went in to the terminal and enabled finder to show invisible / hidden files. I then deleted the folder options from the hard drive that Finder sets when you change viewing options. I then turned hidden files back on. I set the view settings that I wanted the hard drive folder to have and then ejected it.

I mounted the drive afterward. Opened the folder and the settings kept. The only issue now is that the sidebar on the left hand side of the finder window is rather large, but it's not as big of a deal as before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.