Apple Hardware Test Error Code 4SNS/1/1/40000001: "VDOR"

Reaction score
Like two days ago my iMac started running badly, I mean really bad. I opened up Disk Utility and checked the S.M.A.R.T, and was momentarily reconforted by a "Verified" message. Then I decided to open SMART Utility, to get more detailed info: I found this: IMAGES AS ATTACHMENTS.

The HDD is not the original in my Core Duo (late 2006) iMac, the original died on me and I had to replace it with one I got out of my Maxtor One Touch 4. In the process, I didn't repaste the thermal sensor on the hdd (still sticky from before), and since I didn't know where on the hdd to paste it, I put it on an unpainted metal spot, which at the time I guessed was made for it. Then I closed it back up, and ran a smart check with tech tools, which reported evrything within acceptable range except tempeture variation, which I guess is created by the spot I stuck the sensor on. Anyways, after I recently got this problem and the scary errors (about 3 moths after the HDD swap) I booted into Apple Hardware Test, and did a extensive test, which reported the error code. From what I have read, this is likely a sensor error, if so, ¿could it be related to the HDD swap?. Additionally, ¿could the S.M.A.R.T errors be produced by this, or are they two separate problems?

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Reaction score
Did you boot from your install disc and run disc utilities. The heat sensor shouldnt make the machine run bad. You may of installed it in the wrong place. A crashing HD or corrupt system file may make the machine run bad. Someone here knows that exact error code..hold on for other posts.

OP
A
Reaction score
Running Disk Utilities from the install disc should not make a difference (I think). The system should be fine, but of course that is a option. What alarms me is the report from SMART Utility, and it seems to "agree" with Tech Tools, which gave me about the same errors but "approved" the test.

OP
A
Reaction score
I booted the mac up (I was keeping it off) and it's working normally now, which is weird considering I did reboot twice when the problem arose. Anyways, I'm going to try and keep usage to a minimum until I get told I'm OK to use it, or not.
Note: I already made a backup.

OP
A
Reaction score
Anyone? It's been three and a half computer-less days now.

OP
A
Reaction score
I don't think that would make a difference for SMART, and I didn't repair anything, if the HDD is failing there is nothing to repair, it's gone. Repair is useful if the directory is in trouble.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.