Tired of sexist linux "community"

Reaction score
Hi, I've been an Ubuntu user for the last four years and before that gentoo. With RMS, Shuttleworth and all their sexist followers, it's just too hard to be a woman in that community anymore. We're simply not welcome or wanted there anymore. My old roomie gave me her used mac-mini and I had a few questions:

1) Is there some sort of "translation dictionary" of bash script to , well, whatever you call files that will work in the OSX terminal?
2)I've noticed I can't get to some system files. How do I go about that?
3) Is there a "lite" gui (like fluxbox or something similar)?
4) I know it's not "free" here (truthfully Ubuntu is only free for males though),but how does one contribute ? I'm just in the habit of being that involved with my OS I guess. Are there any non-profit educational packages or any similar projects within the mac community.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
1) you can run bash scripts in OS X, it's BSD based after all. Although I guess, rereading the question, I'm missing what you are asking. What are you trying to call?
2) you might need to sudo.. but what system files? Remember, it ain't linux so things are different (like AIX is different, sorta)
3) no, at least not as far as I've ever seen
4) You can download xCode, which would also include CLI compilation tools, as well as a graphical environment. You won't be able to add to the OS, but you certainly can provide apps.. there are plenty of freeware/shareware apps around

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
1) The terminal runs in bash by default, so... yea... bash to bash. you can also change it to run in tsch, or a couple other shells, I believe. It IS unix afterall.

2) show hidden files... in terminal, type:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

3) No, but you can simplify your GUI by making it a 2D dock (google os x terminal 2d dock for code), turn off the translucent menu bar (that's just in system prefs under appearances) unless you have a PPC mac mini and not an intel chipset one, in which case you can't have a translucent dock. Things like that. The GUI is fairly customizable.

4) I'm not sure about that... join the Apple Developers community?

[edit]
Gah! I hate having a million things to do! I'm supposed to be relaxing, and it took me too long! Dys beat me to the punch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Feh, I'm sick.. my other choice is wasting what' left of my voice yelling at my kids. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been running all day. Worked 12-5 at Best Buy, then went to band practice til 8:30, got home at 8:45, then sat and got on my laptop, and still had a million things flying at me. My entire family was online talking to me, a couple friends, and my fiancee was having me run back and forth to facebook to see what she was uploading. It was hectic. A bit quieter now. :)

Reaction score
That is ironic about what you say of Ubuntu. There's a picture of women on there and yet it's free for only guys? Totally messed up.

1) Apple Script?
2) Finder>Home folder>Library
-Finder>Macintosh HD>System>Library
-There are multiple libraries here by the way
3) Not that I know of.
4) There is the developer site that Apple has, which you can develop your own OS off of Darwin (Mac OS X foundation).
-Developing however for Mac OS X (or iPhone, iPod touch etc) comes with a fee however.

That's about as much as I know. I've used Ubuntu, I much prefer Mac OS X though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I love women.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amen to that.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help in everyone, that makes things a lot easier :) Tee hee, actually, the more I play around and get used to the "mac way" of doing things, the more I feel like a teenager (who's had to schlep it on the bus their whole life) with their first car XD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, well, welcome to the real world, sister. :) Only this isn't a first car... first cars are usually piles of crap. This is like, a BMW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Tut, women!!

(Only joking :D)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Hi, I've been an Ubuntu user for the last four years and before that gentoo. With RMS, Shuttleworth and all their sexist followers, it's just too hard to be a woman in that community anymore. We're simply not welcome or wanted there anymore. My old roomie gave me her used mac-mini and I had a few questions:

1) Is there some sort of "translation dictionary" of bash script to , well, whatever you call files that will work in the OSX terminal?
2)I've noticed I can't get to some system files. How do I go about that?
3) Is there a "lite" gui (like fluxbox or something similar)?
4) I know it's not "free" here (truthfully Ubuntu is only free for males though),but how does one contribute ? I'm just in the habit of being that involved with my OS I guess. Are there any non-profit educational packages or any similar projects within the mac community.

Don't cross Tux, he'll cut you mang.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
I'm new to the mac as well and yes it's a jungle out there ...

Many Linux users are bent on "free" dom ... things do get out of hand on the ubuntu forum ...

As for me, I'm not a convert yet ... I run whatever I need to get the job done.
I do like the familiar feeling I get using my Mac ... very Linux like.

It also helps when you have a fleet of systems to work with :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Freakin' Chicks. Welcome, just kidding. ;)

Reaction score
I've used Linux for a while and just became bored with how much work you have to do to get things to work.

I've never heard of any Linux community being sexist, but I know that female usage of Linux and other things could be much higher. Kind of like women being mechanics, I have a lot of respect for women who can get dirty and be fine with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you only saw the sheer # of female *nix developers out there :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.