Usb to control a power source

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i
Id like to use my computer over halloween to turn on and off some effects, over simple, i turn power on to a macbook usb and it turns on a power strip, something that simple, is it possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
You'll not acomplish this with out some form of automation software. I run / install home automation for a living and no of no such program or hardware relay that can control line voltage thru a mac USB port. I use several that interface thru Ethernet.

Tell me what you are trying to do maybe I can help.
Clay

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i
Thanks for the reply Clay.
for the past few halloween years ive been doing a small "haunted section" (the path from my driveway to front door ;p) And i want to step it up a bit this year, I have a big strobe, some plain lights to illuminate things and a few motorized moving objects, i would really like to be able to controll the power to all this from my macbook, i have access to windows aswell, If more hardware is required then i would like it to be versatile!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Any hardware that will be controlled by computer are very specific and used only for that and really nothing you'll buy locally for a small amount of money. Didn't try to get too techy. Really your looking for a clapper! Sorry but that would work but look for a remote controlled relay. A device that plugs into the wall and your surge strip plugs into that. They make them with a switch and I am sure I saw on once with a wireless remote used to turn off Xmas lights.

Good Luck and post some pics for us to see

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I

Thanks I know exactly what your talking about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.