How to use the trackpad gestures with Opera

Reaction score
I recently installed Opera 10 on Mac book Pro running Snow Leopard, but the two finger swipe for back/forward doesnot work, how can I get it working?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OP
G
Reaction score
Yes, I went over that, but I would prefer the trackpad to work the same way as on safari or firefox, instead of different gestures for Oera.

OP
G
Reaction score
I'll try to edit the gestures, but why does Opera use different defaults. I thought mouse (trackpad) gestures work OS wide on Mac, but it seems its possible to customize them. I recently switched to Mac, so still learning various shortcuts that I was using.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'll try to edit the gestures, but why does Opera use different defaults. ...

Opera has been using mouse gestures across multiple OS's for many years.

Many years longer than Apple has had these fancy new trackpads.

Reaction score
Opera has been using mouse gestures across multiple OS's for many years.

And i loved 'em... with a 'standard' trackpad with 2 buttons, moving forward/back became second nature.

BUT
i think the question related to a 'new' Macbook touchpad - ie no separate buttons... you cannot hold the right click and then left click.

You can hold a right click and then swipe left with one finger to navigate, but it's not at all comfortable.

Coops

Reaction score
^ Yup I'm having the same problem and have been searching the Opera forums.

With a mouse, it's totally fine to use the Opera gestures but with this new all-in-one buttom/track pad (new 17" MBP), I can't seem to go back or forward a page with the two finger side-swipe motion!

Like you said, the gestures are Opera's home and glory, surely they would have included it into their Mac version unless Safari are patenting it or something?

Reaction score
opera are adding trackpad gestures in opera 10.5. I just downloaded the beta version and all the gestures works fine! I do want to clarify, when u say two finger swipe to navigate back and forth between pages, do you actually mean THREE finger swipe, because thats what I have been using in snow leopard and leopard, in all the browsers? you can download the beta from here:

Opera Web Browser | Faster & safer | Download the new Internet browsers free

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.