Backing Up and Reformatting for BootCamp

Reaction score
Ok, so I attempted to use the "oh so easy boot camp program" to install windows, and when trying to partition, even a partition as small as 10 gb gives me the message "some files could not be moved, back up and reformat as... then restore files and attempt to use boot camp" I have a 500 gb time capsule here, what would I need to do?

OP
I
Reaction score
Without deleting my current partition can I just use disk utility to create a 15 gb free space partition then install windows to that? Doesn't seem like it will work as boot camp assistant wants to create a partition...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It won't work because Boot Camp does more than just create a partition. Windows needs to have a boot sector controlled by a BIOS which Mac machines do not have. Instead of using Boot Camp you can use rEFIt after creating the partition with Disk Utility.

However, it sounds like from the description of the error that there may be files located in the area where Boot Camp is trying to create the partition. Boot Camp needs contiguous space in order to create a partition. You may be able to use iDefrag to move the files.

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok, here's a question, it's having a problem with immoveable files. My iTunes music library is around 43 gb. If I transferred all of my music to my time capsule, then deleted it from my mac HD, wouldn't that create an at least 15 gb vacuum to which the new partition could be made? Then I could just transfer back the music and it would get stuck wherever right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.