Snow Leopard,going back to Leopard!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2.2 dual core.120gb .1gb ram.superdrive.
Guys and Gals:

I am tired of Apple "vista" AKA Snow Leopard. I need to revert back to Leopard as it is stable and works!!!
I bought an external drive,moved my photos and will be moving iTunes and other files and stuff.

Whats involved in nuking the hard drive and starting fresh please.
Thanks

Perry

T

todd51

If your not happy with SL, just pop in the Leopard disc and boot from it. Then choose Clean Install which will format your drive and install a clean version of Leopard. Make sure you have everything backed up that you want.

Reaction score
i thin you will find in the LONG RUN, the SL works better.

When you say in the long run; are you talking about when they fix it?

SL is no way ready for power users. I have a new macbook pro 2.93 with 4g's of ram; and SL along with my daily routine of front end web development, brought my system to a halt. I was left with 10mb of ram.

Now that I am back on my old osx, I can get work done again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm amazed at the problems some people report with SL. I have yet to upgrade, and I'll wait awhile longer. But, my suspicion is still that the SL problems have more to do with what else is installed on individual computers than with the OS itself. There's still some "catching up" to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Honestly toMACsh, so am I - I've had exactly 3 problems with my Macs since upgrading to SL -

1) going to Yahoo!'s mail page, and clicking on my inbox (obviously before the main yahoo mail script completes) causes safari to crash.

2) Sometimes there are browser election issues when sitting in a windows workgroup where I don't always see all of the systems in my workgroup in my finder (this problem doesn't appear to exist in a domain environment)

3) The way they changed how the IR remote works in that it tends to launch iTunes even if another program has focus and is being controlled by the remote.

#2 isn't always an issue as usually a powercycle will fix the election issue for me at least

#1 is a pain, but I just try to not speed click thru yahoo mails page.

#3 there is a third party free program that replaces the Apple IR control software and takes care of the issue. Problem solved.

Other than that - the only other problems I have run into was because I was using extra addons that weren't SL compatible, and once removed it eliminated other issues.

I've done hours of video work on my machines since upgrading to SL using FCS2 and it seems to work great for me, and now I'm really happy that VMWare released a new version of Fusion to take advantage of more SL features.

Reaction score
I've been having problems with snow leopard also, and my mac mini is brand new (arrived last week, new model offered 10/20). The problem I have has to do with video playback on my mini, it's really choppy and goes out of sync/drops frames frequently. The strange thing is, it's not just HD video, DVDs and Divx does this too. I'm currently installing a copy of 10.5 on a USB HD to see if this fixes things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You've got something else going on - I play 720p video all the time, and even some 1080i video on my mini running 10.6, most of the 720p streamed over wireless, and I'm not seeing what you're seeing Suiname. I'd check the basic troubleshooting guide in this forum and start investigating - you definitely shouldn't have problems watching regular DVDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
I installed SL on my iMac. Really only have one annoying thing that drives me nuts. I still use an MSN e-mail and when I open an e-mail, all I get is gibberish. Links work if I click on them (I can tell by the color of the letters). Copy and paste in another program doesn't help.

Oh by the way, this happens in Safari but not in Firefox. Didn't happen before SL. I've reset Safari, emptied the cache and nothing has helped. Even the guys at the Apple store couldn't figure it out.

Like I say, annoying, but something I'd expect from Microsoft, not Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I haven't experienced any performance issues with either leopard or snow leopard.... other than Safari, which I only use to download items from Apple, and otherwise, I have always used firefox, which has given me no grief.
I suspect that there are 2 reasons other than being fortunate .....I always do a clean install, including clean installations of software, also, that I have never made a windows partition on my Macs (nor would I want to). If I had to use windows, I would buy a cheap PC specifically for that.
Just an observation, but it's seems that majority of people who have had problems, either did a simple upgrade, and moved everything across from 3rd party software, etc, as well as having windows partitions.
The other problem that I have noticed from other users, is with incompatible 3rd party software, or software like photoshop, where developers have lagged behind, and are offering no support.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had some pretty major issues with 10.6, but doing a clean install and selectively importing my data/docs/apps and settings corrected them all. As with Leopard, if you do a straight upgrade, that seems to be the most problematic route.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
#3 there is a third party free program that replaces the Apple IR control software and takes care of the issue. Problem solved.

Can you please post the details to this fix.
It is the one thing i have found really annoying !!!!!

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)
The fact that my Konica Minolta colour laser printer is no longer supported was enough for me to downgrade back to Leopard.

Reaction score
Snow Leopard: Apple's "Vista"?

I have read a lot of people not liking SL due to Safari issues. What about the fact the QuickTime Pro is also gone?!?! After I had to buy it yet AGAIN. Apple has really F'ed up this time. I will be backing up my current system and downgrading as well. I used to be able to edit video easily and very well. It's not so now. I don't know what is involved in downgrading, but I am going to buy a large FireWire 2 external hard drive and back up with TimeMachine for starters.

Reaction score
I have read a lot of people not liking SL due to Safari issues. What about the fact the QuickTime Pro is also gone?....

QT Pro is on the SL disk and was even offered as an installed when I looked at the additional software included. I just plugged in my existing credentials and it worked as before. I now have both QT 10 and QT pro. You just needed to get it off the DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I have read a lot of people not liking SL due to Safari issues. What about the fact the QuickTime Pro is also gone?!?! After I had to buy it yet AGAIN. Apple has really F'ed up this time. I will be backing up my current system and downgrading as well. I used to be able to edit video easily and very well. It's not so now. I don't know what is involved in downgrading, but I am going to buy a large FireWire 2 external hard drive and back up with TimeMachine for starters.

What are you on about?
Safari's always had issues for many users, and is no worse with Snow Leopard, and as for Quicktime Pro, it was never there unless you paid for the upgrade. It was not a freebie with Leopard!
If you need to install it, read THIS

By the way, running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and having no problems... Mac's running like a charm as always :)

Reaction score
I just bought SL but I'm leaving it in the car and returning it. I bought it because its $30 bucks and I read that it made it faster (than it already was). I dont wanna get greedy. I've been reading reviews and man.. it sounds like its a 50 / 50 chance it will work as advertised. I have no issues with my macbook so I'm not gonna mess with it. Theanks for the info everyone. Maybe down the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just bought SL but I'm leaving it in the car and returning it. I bought it because its $30 bucks and I read that it made it faster (than it already was). I dont wanna get greedy. I've been reading reviews and man.. it sounds like its a 50 / 50 chance it will work as advertised. I have no issues with my macbook so I'm not gonna mess with it. Theanks for the info everyone. Maybe down the road.

Never had issues with my Mac, and since Snow Leopard, still had no issues other than having more room on my HD.
I don't know what you've been reading, but just be aware, majority of Mac users, regardless of what OS they are using, you will hear nothing from.
The reason being, is that they are happy!
If you are driving a porsche 911 turbo, do you spend your time on forums, or car mag sites talking about it, or just enjoy cruising (racing) along?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.