School Macbook

Reaction score
Ok, so we got our school Macbook's today, and I was happy because I thought I would be able to maybe bootcamp it and play some games since this macbook is slightly better than my other mac, but they blocked EVERYTHING on the macbooks. You can install anything into the app folder because it requires a admin pass and so does trying to update your os. Certain folders have the red sign the the minus sign in it. Does anyone know I could bypass this all? I want to actually use this laptop, it's not like I'm going to load it with torrents, just install a game or two and test out the laptop's capabilities... If anyone knows how to get past the blocks, then that would be phenomenal.

T

todd51

Sorry but I can't help you. If it's not your own property, you should respect the rights of the owner (school in this case) and just enjoy the fact that they gave you a Macbook to use.

EDIT: Maybe you can talk to an administrator and tell them what you want, they might be nice enough to do it for you.

OP
F
Reaction score
Well we had to pay 50$ to use them for the year, I think we should be able to use them. They won't even let you change the desktop background for christ's sake.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yeah and we pay 75 dollars to use the Mac lab. At least you get to bring it home. We have to stay at school to use their equipment and they are monitoring us 24/7.

T

todd51

I understand your frustration, but I honestly wouldn't even know how to disable it. Look on the bright side, unlike Crimson and I, you get to bring them home. We had to sit in a lab all night to work on stuff.

OP
F
Reaction score
Wow, that sucks, man. There's really no point in this laptop now. Waste of 50$. I'm surprised that I was able to install WoW, at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
It's a school tool, not a game console. Such is life, I guess.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wow, that sucks, man. There's really no point in this laptop now. Waste of 50$.

What's worse...spending $50 bucks for a 1 year use of a laptop...or paying at least $1000 of your own money to buy a laptop...and in 1 year it's probably worth $700???

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
Also, are you sure that you weren't agreeing to some set of terms by renting the laptop? Whether it "sucks" or not, if it's not your property and you agreed to the terms, it would irresponsible (and potentially illegal) to break them.

Fippil said:
There's really no point in this laptop now.
There must be some reason they lent it to you—perhaps to complete schoolwork on it. If you truly feel you're being excessively limited, talk to an administrator like Todd mentioned above.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I suppose the second one

I know that it sucks not being able to do everything you want with the "school supplied" MacBook...but it's still better than no MacBook at all.

Like you said...you were able to install WoW on it.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Hey at least YOU get MacBooks, period. My school is so stupid in that they want to save energy, and trim money spending in the IT department. Uh hello? Move away from Windows into something else!

So, consider yourself lucky in that you get to use a Mac, while everyday (for the last oh, 11 years) I've been with Windows at my schools. You can probably talk to an administrator and see what happens.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I seriously doubt they are going to be sympathetic to the OPs cause.

If it was to install something that is school related then maybe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.