Problems with caps lock

Reaction score
Following the latest software update for my MBP,my caps lock key has stopped working! Don't know if the two events are connected via a glitch in the software that has disabled the key, or if it is a coincidence (but I had no problems with the key previously). Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Any suggestions for things to try?

OP
L
Reaction score
Sure have tried rebooting - at least, I've tried "restart" a couple of times. Or did you have something more drastic in mind?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Try this: System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard. There should be a button in the bottom right corner that says "modifier keys". Check to make sure that the "Caps Lock" key is set to perform the action of a "Caps Lock" key. If it is not, then that is your problem.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Regrettably, it's one I already checked, and it was set correctly. My developing guess is that it's hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Pop that key off and see if there is something under it preventing it from working. A sesame seed for example could be the culprit. The keys come off easily. I've used a paper clip successfully in the past. And you just click them back into place with a little down pressure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Mind letting us know what was small enough to fit under there? Or what you found once you popped it off?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.