How necessary is a case?

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it. As a result of a mistake Apple made with getting a new laptop to me, they're giving me an iPod Touch. I've never even thought about getting one because it was out of my budget, so I haven't done the amount of product research I normally do. So as far as cases/screen covers/whatever go, which ones do you like and how necessary are they? Could it wait awhile to get them, or does the Touch scratch up pretty easy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Put it in your pocket with your keys a few times, then re-post the question. :D

Get a case if you drop stuff, get a protective film if you don't.

I love inCase stuff.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had the second generation iPod Touch the week it was released. It took quite some time before cases became available. And as careful as I was with it, it only took about 2 weeks of gentle use to get light scratches on the chrome back, as well as a small ding (which I still don't know how it got there). Fortunately, Griffin came out with a nice case/shell that protects the whole thing and I haven't had a problem since.

So, if you're anal like me and like your electronics to always look the way they did when you got them, a case is essential. This is the one I have:

Griffin Technology: Elan Form for iPod - Hard-shell leather protection

Well worth the money, although the screen protector it comes with is garbage. For that I recommend this:

Crystal Film Set for iPod Touch 2G and Brand New Touch 2G - iPod Touch2G Screen Protector - iPod Touch2G Protector - iPod Touch2G Protective Film - iPod Touch2G Accessories - PowerSupport USA

No bubbles, very easy to apply (comparatively speaking) and you don't even notice it's on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I just got an invisible shield for it and toss it in my pocket.. no bubbles (if you're careful about the installation), it's permanent, guaranteed and I've done the whole smacking the ipod with my keys thing without scratches. Then got one for my dSLR and my point and shoot.. the point and shoot goes backpacking, gets regularly abused (I've had to loktite the screws in because the abuse vibrates them out) and has no scratching or damage to the screen at all. I hate cases.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just got an invisible shield for it and toss it in my pocket.. no bubbles (if you're careful about the installation), it's permanent, guaranteed and I've done the whole smacking the ipod with my keys thing without scratches. Then got one for my dSLR and my point and shoot.. the point and shoot goes backpacking, gets regularly abused (I've had to loktite the screws in because the abuse vibrates them out) and has no scratching or damage to the screen at all. I hate cases.

I have one on my Mac - and it's great a first. But it only takes a couple of months before the corners start to peel up, and then forget about it.

T

todd51

I believe my case is an Agent18 case listed on the Apple website for iPod accessories. I also got a protective film for the screen. I would check to see what kind it was, but I don't have my iPod Touch with me.

If your going to be using it a lot, I would definitely get both a case and a screen protector. It's worth too much to have it break or scratch within 4-5 months of having it.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks! I figured that would be the answer. I'll have to see if I can't get my mum to buy me something immediately! I'm moving in two weeks to a large city that has wifi downtown and I, now that I'm getting one, intend to use my Touch to help me keep track of where in the city I am, so I'll probably be using it quite a lot. I don't carry a cell phone (I hate them) so I was quite worried about how I'd be able to sort out where the heck I was when I went out!

Reaction score
I have the Agent 18 case on my second gen iPod touch. Though dirt (I live in the desert, it gets windy here in the spring, and I walk home from school) gets in the case, leaving fine pock marks on the back of the device, though the case and the screen protector I got (smooth as glass) are in far worse condition. Better than a scratched iPod. Especially for $300 dollars (or however much a 16 gigabyte model cost last year). If I could, I'd buy a new case and the same screen protector that I have now (I love it! It's anti glare!). So, a case is necessary, and there are TONS of them for iPod's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I have one on my Mac - and it's great a first. But it only takes a couple of months before the corners start to peel up, and then forget about it.
Hrm, mines been installed for well over a year now with no issues.. on at least 4 devices (since my wifes touch and daughters ipods have them too)

OP
W
Reaction score
Got my mum convinced tonight that a cover WILL be necessary. It'll probably just be a relatively inexpensive one from Staples, but it will keep it safe until I have a job and can get my own cover and case. Thank you so much for your advice. Without being able to show mum this, I would have probably been unable to convince her.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I also have this problem. Doesn't help that I keep it in my pocket and it picks up lint and whatever else. The edges look gross...>_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I have had great experiences from Incase, Griffin, and Agent 18. I bought a Griffin case for my first gen iPod touch when I first got it, has been on it since. I love that case, very solid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.