Automatic Login not wirking with AD user.

Reaction score
Greetings!

I thought this was an easy one, but apparently not. I just want to make one of my active directory user log in automatically when the Mac reboot.

It works for local users, but as soon as I set the the Automatic Login to the AD user, I get hte login dialog after I reboot.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
=o)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, get used to entering your password.

The whole basis of AD is to authenticate you as a trusted entity and assign that entity rights and privileges. Although you may be able to cache that password, it would be ill-advised as anyone with physical access to your machine would be able to authenticate as you and all activities would be traced back to you.

OP
G
Reaction score
So, you're saying I *should* be able to achieve this by caching the password? and how would I do that?

Just a little backgroud on why I need this machine to automatically login with an AD user:

- This machine is used to run automated tests.
- I have cron jobs setup (calling a perl script), but they run only if I edit the cron jobs after a reboot.
- Also, the jobs always fails when it tries to mount a shared directory on the network ("smbfs broken pipe" or something like that).
- The only scenario where no problems happen is when I physically login to the computer. Then the cron job starts normally, and the disks gets mounted correctly.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I figured it would be easier to try to auto-login the user than to fix why the cronjobs were not runnig and the mount was failing.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
You can do it in Directory Utility, but if this client is anything but benign, I wouldn't.

Like cwa107 said, it defeats the purpose.

Unless you prevent physical access, ie no input devices ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You can do it in Directory Utility, but if this client is anything but benign, I wouldn't.

Like cwa107 said, it defeats the purpose.

Unless you prevent physical access, ie no input devices ;)

Not only that, but in the US, it would constitute a violation of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, specifically the GCC provisions of that act. User names and passwords are controls designed to mitigate a risk. If you were to get caught doing something like this, your employer may be forced to terminate you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.