Wireless problem with iMac & Apple Tv

4bp

Reaction score
Hi All
wonder if someone can help me.
i have just bought an new 27"iMac and Apple TV.
My problem is that i cant seem find a place for my router in my house where i can get a signal on both.
if i put the router downstairs the apple TV can pick up the network but my iMac cant, and vice versa. My house isnt that big. i managed to get the 2 working briefly, but the signal on the apple tv was only 2 bars and therefore didnt work that great.
do i need to change the channel on my router.
will buying a time capsule enhance the distance of my network and make it work better throughout the house?
its starting to drive me mad!
Please can someone help me and tell me where i should first put my router. whats the best way of boosting the signal and if there is anything else i can do to make sure that everything works like it is suppossed to!
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Have you checked the power settings for wireless on the router?? Make sure they are not set too low.

OP

4bp

Reaction score
Have you checked the power settings for wireless on the router?? Make sure they are not set too low.

thanks for the reply...dont want to sound like an idiot....BUT.....how do i do this?
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Without knowing what hardware you are working with it is hard to say specifically where to look. Get into your router and look under Wireless settings, or advanced wireless. You are looking for transmit power, wireless power, etc. Sometimes these are set too low and need to be changed. 1 is the lowest setting and 10 will be your highest. Experiment with this if your router has the setting.

T

todd51

To extend on JohnCL's post..you can usually access your router's settings by typing in the IP 192.168.1.1 into your browser.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.