iWork Vs MS Office mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", iPhone 4
I've been banging on about ordering my first mac ever for about a week now.

The wife works for NHS so I'm getting about 6 or 7% discount on it. But I've also just bought MS Office 08 for mac as the wife got it for £17 with her NHS discount.

I'm wondering whether to add iWork to the order for £50?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
How much does the school sell it for? The 6-7% discount is not exactly that earth shattering.

If you are into saving money then go ahead and use the discount, or not purchase iWork at all. I would however download the trial version and test it out before buying it. Link here.

Keynote by itself is well worth the £50, to me at least.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", iPhone 4
I know 7% is pretty crap, it's just on the Apple Store site for NHS staff. Not bad when you're buying an iMac though. £65 is not to be sniffed at.

But the office software is not from the apple store, it's from Microsoft themselves I think.

BTW the NHS is our national health service in the UK which you guys have been slating in the US since Obama mentioned plans to have a public health service over there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you already have MS Office 2008 there is no point in purchasing iWork. Keynote is not that much better than Powerpoint and most business offices and universities are pretty much standardized using MS Office software.

The old adage that you couldn't go wrong with purchasing IBM also works well when it come to MS Office. Like it or not, it's the industry standard just about everywhere.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have both iWork 08 and Ms Office 08, but I hardly ever use iWork anymore since my computers at work run windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in mbook 2.4ghz intel snow leopard upgraded 4gb ram / 2g iPod touch 16gb jailed/ airport extreme
If you want to run macros in excel then both iWork and ms office for do not cater for this, that said ms office for mac 2004 does work with macros. iWork will open all files and export as ms formats and it is more colourful and has more templates than the ms version . Hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
If you want to run macros in excel then both iWork and ms office for do not cater for this, that said ms office for mac 2004 does work with macros. iWork will open all files and export as ms formats and it is more colourful and has more templates than the ms version . Hope this helps

Well, as long as the macros are written to work in Office 97, because both it and Office 2004 are written with VB 5, whereas Office 2000/2002/2003 are written with VB 6. Makes a big difference in being able to run many of the VBA commands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 10.3.9 (10.4.7?) iMac intel 10.4.11 (10.6.0) Macbook intel 10.6.0 iBook G4 10.4.11
Get iWork '09. You can view all your MS '08 Files on it. You might want to keep Excel (if you use it) 'cause numbers '09 kinda sucks.

TWM

Reaction score
you might want to check out Neo office. Its free and does just about everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.