Upgraded units after return - experiences?

F

F@TMAN

I'm in the process of contacting Apple Australia in regards to an upgrade to my iPod unit in light of recent problems I've experienced. It's been 6 weeks since I've last had in my posession a functioning unit (iPod with dock connector). In the meantime, I've received one replacement (my 3rd in 1yr) that was DOA (suffering from "iPod shows a folder icon with exclamation point when you turn it on") and have had to deal with misinformation and a complete disregard for my time and problem from Apple Customer Care.

I'm curious for experiences from other users who have had their iPod units upgraded as a result of numerous faults in original/replacement units, or for other circumstances that I'd also like to hear about. Any recommendations would also be welcomed. Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
F@TMAN said:
I'm in the process of contacting Apple Australia in regards to an upgrade to my iPod unit in light of recent problems I've experienced. It's been 6 weeks since I've last had in my posession a functioning unit (iPod with dock connector). In the meantime, I've received one replacement (my 3rd in 1yr) that was DOA (suffering from "iPod shows a folder icon with exclamation point when you turn it on") and have had to deal with misinformation and a complete disregard for my time and problem from Apple Customer Care.

I'm curious for experiences from other users who have had their iPod units upgraded as a result of numerous faults in original/replacement units, or for other circumstances that I'd also like to hear about. Any recommendations would also be welcomed. Thanks in advance...

i returned my 3G ipod b/c i got that folder icon with the exclamation point on it. they sent me a brand new or refurbished 3G ipod. it was the exact same model, it just looked brand new. i can't say for sure if it was brand new, but it had absolutely no marks or scratches, it looked just like an ipod out of a box. of course, i did have a the Apple warranty on it, which i'm assuming you have also. i doubt they'd give you a 4G ipod if that's what you're wondering.

OP
F

F@TMAN

fasheezy said:
i doubt they'd give you a 4G ipod if that's what you're wondering.
Read this, and give me an honest opinion (I was going to hold this off until the saga had reached its end, but I believe it is called for)...it's a summary of what I've been through during the past 7 weeks now:

--------------------------------------------
I bought my iPod almost a year ago, and after a few niggles (had to return it one week after purchase because it stopped mounting on my PC, was replaced) managed to have a pretty good relationship with it. That is, up until this February, when it started resetting randomly during playback, and by the beginning of March was useless. So, once again, I sent my iPod away and, not suprisingly, it was replaced.

I then received “that” phone call, telling me my unit was ready for pickup *cue excitment* but things took a turn for the worse when the Apple rep decided to turn the unit on, which brought about a grim look on his face and an "uh-oh"..."uh-oh?" I repeated, "what's the problem NOW?!". "It's just the battery" the rep replied, "recharge it, update its software and you should be right"...how wrong he was!

I’d spend the next 24hrs recharging, mounting and unmounting, reformatting, updating/resetting my new unit, but to no avail. My BRAND NEW iPod refused to boot up, suffering from “iPod shows a folder icon with exclamation point when you turn it on”-itis, as described here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61003 . Doing some research over at Apple's support forums, it seemed I was not alone (as was the case when my first iPod refused to mount) and, unfortunately, all the suggestions that Apple pose on the issue didn’t help. But, thank god for my warranty one would say! So I promptly returned the unit once more (3rd iPod returned now). That’s when it really got sticky…

That was 17th of March, almost a month ago, and I am still without an iPod. Why, you ask? Well, it seems I’m the victim of a “catastrophic failure” (I’ll go into more detail). After chasing up Apple Centre reps one too many times on the phone (and once in person), I decided it was time for action! I’d been told that, on the 18th of March, my iPod had been deemed faulty by a technician, and it was approved for replacement. An order was placed, and I was awaiting the arrival of the new unit. I asked that this be chased up, because it was extremely irregular for delivery to take this long (being 12th April, it should have arrived no later than the 01st). After a few mintues, the Apple Centre rep. called back, “do you want the good news first, or the bad news?”

“Well, actually, there is no good news – turns out in the process of Apple upgrading their systems, your order was lost. So, effectively, Apple never received your order! But, don’t worry, I’ve taken the liberty of ordering your new unit, and we’ll make sure it’s given priority.” I thanked the lad for his good work, and proceeding to contact Apple Customer Care. “I feel I’m in line to receive an upgrade to my unit due to the circumstances that have seen me without a functioning iPod unit for 6 weeks now” I stated. “Only in cases of catastrophic failure are upgrades considered” one customer relations rep. told me, “And what do you define as a catastrophic failure” I asked him. “Well, I don’t know…” I cut him off , “Well, put me through to someone who does, please”. After being on hold for what seemed 10 minutes, another customer relations rep. answered, and I proceeded to explain the situation (again). Although, this time she claimed “we don’t do upgrades”. “Well, actually, one of your collegues told me you did, in cases of catastrophic failure”. She asked for his name, then put me on hold. Another 5 minutes, and I was greeted once more by the first rep. (who’d obviously said more than he should have). “Fax through a copy of your original receipt” he asked. I obliged.

The following day, I rang Customer Care to chase up the progress of my case. I spoke to someone who seemed to be of higher rank than the customer relations reps I spoke to the day before. “We make decisions on a case by case basis, and in your particular case, we don’t believe there is sufficient evidence to warrant an upgrade. If your replacement unit shows signs of fault within the next 6 months, we’re willing to review. That’s all I’m prepared to offer”. I told her “so what do you define as catastrophic failure, because from what I understand, this is the criteria to warrant an upgrade”. “We don’t have a clear cut definition, as I said, we decide on a case by case basis”. I brought up the fact that I’ve had 3 iPod units fail on me in the past year, not to mention the debarcle by Apple in losing my order in the process of upgrading their systems. “We’d like something in writing from Apple to prove this”. We bid each other a pleasant weekend, and I promised to contact her first thing Monday morning.

In the meantime, I contacted the service centre that I had dealt with, seeking some documentation stating what had occurred in the process of my order being lost. After a few calls, one rep. told me “I’ve actually received an email from (the person from customer care I had dealt with) asking what had happened. I replied to her that, before the system changeover, your order was present, and after the changeover, it wasn’t.” So, effectively, the customer care rep. had answered her own question! She had received a statement, in writing, validating my argument.

Come Monday 18th, I tried to contact this customer care rep. with no success - “please leave us your number, and she’ll get back to you”. This is where the story ends, for now. In the meantime I’ve managed to come up with a definition for “catastrophic failure”, since no one else was able to provide me with one:

Catastrophic failure - having been told my iPod is ready for pick-up, only to be greeted by a unit that was dead on arrival. After having tried all suggestions from Apple Support, I returned it once again, only to be without an iPod for another 4 weeks and counting (6 weeks without a functioning unit), all because Apple lost my order in the process of upgrading systems. Finally, to be treated with such contempt as to not receive any phone calls in regards to the matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I will agree that so far it has been an unfortunate series of events to say the least. I do hope you get your iPod soon.

Honestly though, they are not going to send you a 4G iPod or any other sort of upgrade to the iPod you purchased. Even if you have gone through the wringer, the fact is you purchased a 3G, and that is what your warranty covers. Unless they no longer have the model you purchased, it is very unlikely that you will receive anything different.

Also, don't take this the wrong way, but if what you described is true, you did seem to be a bit harsh. I understand that what you have gone through thus far is a PITA, but remaining patient, calm and collected is key. When you suggested/demanded that they upgrade your unit, that was a mistake. Also when you cut off the rep in mid-sentence, that was a bit rude. Understandibly you were/are upset, but that is never cause to be curt or rude with someone who is trying to assist you. I have worked in Customer Service for years, and I am familiar with both sides...being the customer and being the CSR/Supervisor. Whenever someone demands something of a CSR or starts talking over them and cutting them off, that person starts to lose whatever 'edge' they may have had at the beginning of the encounter. I do agree that the Care Rep should not have mentioned the possibility of an upgrade, when he clearly had no authorization to make that sort of decision. A decision like that should be made by someone with the ability and authority to do so, like a supervisor or manager. Otherwise, the option should not have been mentioned, even if you brought it up. Now it does appear that they did catch the mistake with the lost order and put a priority on the replacement for it. Before calling them yet again, I would suggest giving time for the unit to arrive. I understand that you are at the end of your rope, but calling every day will not help your case.

I have a 3G that I had replaced with a new unit, when my HD failed. My first request for a repair/replacement went unanswered for about 2 weeks. I was given a dispatch number when I created the request, yet there seemed to be no activity on it. I finally emailed Apple and found that there was a problem with "the systems" that day, and that while he could locate my dispatch number, no orders or requests made it through that day. OK, the reply went on to say that a new dispatch was created and I should receive the return kit within 1-2 days. It was delivered the next morning. I sent it back and received my new iPod in 2 days.
I'll admit, I was less than happy when I found that the original request was lost...and they knew about problematic orders on that date. They knew a dispatch was created for me, and they took no action until I emailed them back. However, at no point did I lose my composure. I made no demands to make my case a priority. I took them at their word that the new dispatch would be sent, and it was. Apple is a large corporation and at times, as with any other large corporation, these things can happen. It doesn't make it any less frustrating for you, the consumer, but they do their best to stand behind their products.

OP
F

F@TMAN

I appreciate your thoughts, D3v1L80Y, and also your feedback. I am well aware that Apple are under no legal obligation to upgrade my unit, as you state, since the warranty covers my original 3G unit. What I was after was more towards "good will", if you like, as I put it to one rep "I'm giving (Apple) the opportunity to make good the wrongs that I've been dealt". I know, some may think I'm being silly, but I believe there are grounds for an upgrade, and I had/have nothing to lose. Regarding your comments on my conduct, I do believe I've kept my composure for the duration of my dealings with Apple (as you can imagine, it's quite a task!). I don't believe I've ever been rude, firm would be a better word. I appreciate Apple are a large company, but the service that I'm receiving after purchase makes me wonder how strongly they do stand behind this particular product (as you put it). Simply replacing a unit until the end user has some good luck with it will not hide the issue in the long term...

[/rant]

Thanks once again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.