External DVD Burner ?

Reaction score
I have the iMac G5 (in my mac specs under name) and i have the combo drive. Now im getting into iMovie and iDVD and really want to start making my own DVD's. The only way in iMovie to make the actual video file is burn it to a DVD so i can't really do that. I was wondering how much and external DVD burner would cost me ? What would you recommend and what works for you?

Im looking in the price range of $100-$175 Canadian.

Thanks guys.

C

code777

shaun89 said:
I have the iMac G5 (in my mac specs under name) and i have the combo drive. Now im getting into iMovie and iDVD and really want to start making my own DVD's. The only way in iMovie to make the actual video file is burn it to a DVD so i can't really do that. I was wondering how much and external DVD burner would cost me ? What would you recommend and what works for you?

Im looking in the price range of $100-$175 Canadian.

Thanks guys.

I have what you have and use iMovie / iDVD a ton now making my own movies. But at your budget you list above in CAN $ - well you probably should save up some more money and purchase a LaCie DVD burner. That's the one I use and it works like a charm with iDVD. LaCie's in general seem to compliment the mac the best. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I recommend a Lacie d2 dual layer burner, thats what I have, about $160 us, compatible100%

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am going to chime in also, and recommend a LaCie DVD burner. I have had no problems with mine. I am planning to get the LaCie d2 DVD±RW with LightScribe in the next couple weeks, since it is now available.

C

code777

a friend of mine did buy one by Plextor for his iMac G4 and had many problems with it. He bought it at Best Buy and returned it within 10 days of having so many issues with it. But this could have been his iMac G4. He has since bought a LaCie and is happy.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
wow, looks like im not going to get a DVD burner for a while. they are too much money right now, and will be on the bottom of my list of things i need to buy. thanks for the help! i will definatly look into a LaCie later on! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
rman said:
I am going to chime in also, and recommend a LaCie DVD burner. I have had no problems with mine. I am planning to get the LaCie d2 DVD±RW with LightScribe in the next couple weeks, since it is now available.

I received my LaCie d2 w/LightScribe, about two weeks ago and it's awesome. Downside is that it takes up to 20 minutes to burn the label, but I think that's tolerable. Quality is pretty nice. The app to make the labels is straightforward and pretty flexible. Lightscribe enabled CD-R's were about $20 for a 30-pack at BestBuy, I'm still waiting on the DVD-R/RW to be released in the near future.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Cool. There is another thread, where the person is having problems using the lightscribe option.

C

code777

rman said:
Cool. There is another thread, where the person is having problems using the lightscribe option.

yeah on some other forums some people are having problems with getting it to print. a guy i met at the apple store told me he just got his and he said it takes about 30-40 mins to print!?!?! and he says he's had two errors so far. He uses it with his PowerBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
mod note: changed title

please do not title threads in such a manner anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.