• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

After work at best buy... reactions to windows boxes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
So, working at Best Buy (better buy, whatever you wanna call it) today, I was messing around with our PCs and trying to get a better feel for Win7. I was futzing around with this 2.8GHz i7 rig that had 8GB of DDR3 (for whatever reason didn't spec the ram speed in MHz) in it. Here are my reactions, not just to that machine but to all of the machines I played with.

1) Why does my penryn architecture core 2 duo at 2GHz macbook with 2GB of DDR3 (1066MHz) respond more quickly than EVERY machine I played with, including the i7, when my machine has both less RAM and a slower processor (we can ignore the pentium machines, because I know the answer there). All of these laptops that we sell excluding netbooks come with 3GB+ RAM, and a all our core 2 machines run at least 2.1GHz.

2) Windows 7 looks nice (for windows).

3) All of this hardware comes at a ridiculously cheap price, but doesn't perform for [insert appropriate word to describe what I mean here].

4) Dear God, why are these trackpads all so small?

5) Can I go home to my macbook yet?

I think I know why "PC" users scoff at the price of Macs. They think a core i7 should perform like my core 2 duo and that 4GB of RAM is barely capable of running their OS.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Man, they must think that a core 2 duo @ 2GHz with 2GB of RAM should perform like my old eMac 1.25GHz with 512MB. I totally see why windows users think my hardware sucks now. Just goes to show you, hardware certainly isn't everything. I felt like I was running a VM almost.

Reaction score
Was it that bad?

I had a Windows rig a year ago, which was watercooled.
It was a darn mess to look at, but it ran like crazy.
Intel DualCore E8400 @ 3.0 GHz
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA 8600GT 512 Mb
640 GB HDD devided in 3 HDD's

IMG_1783-1.jpg
IMG_1788-1.jpg

conclusion is still: I love my MBP!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I also LOL at #5. Everytime I am on a computer call and have to take my Windows notebook, I can't wait to get back to OSX. :D

Windows 7 here really is very responsive even on my AWFUL Acer Aspire One Netbook with 1.6 Intel Atom, 1.5GB RAM. It's very snappy in fact. Vista was dog slow on the same machine. This is Windows 7 RC but the release should not be slower, at least I hope not! :D

Reason I am so negative about the Acer Netbook is last night it stopped working. People on the net are calling it the Black Screen of Death. You have to download a BiOS update to a Flash drive and blindly flash the thing. Why did it mess up in the first place? I was at the desktop in windows and bam. I found hundreds of people with the exact same issue.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was that bad. Maybe Windows is snappy to you because you're used to older slower versions? Keep in mind, I'm used to Tiger, Leopard, and SL. I click something, and it pops open. Even the core i7 with Windoze ultimate felt like using Leopard on my eMac. Quick, but not immediate like SL on this rig.

Reaction score
Was it that bad?

I had a Windows rig a year ago, which was watercooled.
It was a darn mess to look at, but it ran like crazy.
Intel DualCore E8400 @ 3.0 GHz
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA 8600GT 512 Mb
640 GB HDD devided in 3 HDD's

IMG_1783-1.jpg
IMG_1788-1.jpg

conclusion is still: I love my MBP!!

Did you ever spring a leak?
:eek:

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Number 4 and 5 is just lol. That's a nice rig by the way.

Reaction score
Did you ever spring a leak?
No actually, it held it's fluid for a whole year after I filled it.
I bought all the appendages at Freezinghardware.com, so it was the goodstuff.

But it's gone now, I still have the watercooling set, but I sold the machine in parts.
Got good money for it too.:)

That's a nice rig by the way.

Thanks M8;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It was that bad. Maybe Windows is snappy to you because you're used to older slower versions? Keep in mind, I'm used to Tiger, Leopard, and SL. I click something, and it pops open. Even the core i7 with Windoze ultimate felt like using Leopard on my eMac. Quick, but not immediate like SL on this rig.

Don't underestimate the performance-robbing potential of preloaded craplets and mainstream AV software. Also, display units are going to be hobbled by whatever fooling around customers have done to them.

Windows 7 is every bit as responsive as SL, given a clean install and no AV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Don't underestimate the performance-robbing potential of preloaded craplets and mainstream AV software. Also, display units are going to be hobbled by whatever fooling around customers have done to them.

Windows 7 is every bit as responsive as SL, given a clean install and no AV.

Yeah companies pack them to the brim these days, I remember my old Sony Vaio got it and spent almost 2 hours deleting the stuff that comes pre installed! lol

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Best buy wipes their display units and keeps them off of the internet since people were downloading malware in store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
I work at Best Buy as well! I was doing the same thing with all the computers we have out currently and couldn't wait to get home to my macbook. It's a shame that our store doesn't sell macs because I can't even recommend them to people! Do you work in the PC department? I'm actually having a lot of fun working there. You get to meet a lot of people from different walks of life. My favorite was a guy who worked with the military for 30 years and hasn't used anything new since Windows 3.1. That was fun showing him how much things have improved. Anyway, your list made me laugh. I've felt the same way.

Trent out

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do work in the PC department. I'm a new hire, and our store doesn't sell macs either. :D But yea, I found out they're running Archie, but I don't care what's running in the background... 8GB of DDR3 RAM and a core i7 should outperform my core 2 duo 2ghz with 2GB.

Also, another observation I noticed today that was hilarious. Every 5 minutes, even not connected to the internet, all of our computers have these pop ups like, "performing health check," blah blah. Close out of them, and they're right back. The best part is they can't even perform the check because they're not hooked up to the net, so you get even more pop ups telling you that it failed.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I do work in the PC department. I'm a new hire, and our store doesn't sell macs either. :D But yea, I found out they're running Archie, but I don't care what's running in the background... 8GB of DDR3 RAM and a core i7 should outperform my core 2 duo 2ghz with 2GB.

Also, another observation I noticed today that was hilarious. Every 5 minutes, even not connected to the internet, all of our computers have these pop ups like, "performing health check," blah blah. Close out of them, and they're right back. The best part is they can't even perform the check because they're not hooked up to the net, so you get even more pop ups telling you that it failed.

I'm surprised that doesn't detour people from purchasing them. >_>"

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it. People are used to it, I guess.

Reaction score
Best buy wipes their display units and keeps them off of the internet since people were downloading malware in store.

They started doing that to the Mac computers at my local Best Buy. No internet access, and the MacBook they had on display had no battery.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, it's not a bad idea. Especially when you have every little unsupervised kid going in and messing with things because their parents don't know how to keep an eye on them, and have no idea what is and is not appropriate to allow a child to do in an electronics store.

Some kid today was kicking boxes with desktop PCs in them with his dad watching, and he said nothing. Maybe they're Mac fans? :D

Reaction score
That makes it kinda okay, in my book....:)lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.