External Hard drive- uses up space, doesn't show files.

Reaction score
I saved a lot of files on a Seagate hard drive. Everything was working perfectly, but then when I connected it to my laptop today, the files didn't show. I could see that the space was still in use, but there was only one file left. I thought they might be hidden, but that turned out to be wrong.. Please help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
More info please....

Hard drive format? (FAT-32, NTFS, HFS+)

Your model\year Mac? and OS X?

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You said you saved files to a Seagate drive that was formatted to NTFS. Unless you saved the files from a PC running Windows, files can not be saved to a NTFS formatted drive from your MBP without using a third party driver.

If you're saying the files were saved from a PC and now you can't read them on your MBP, that's different. (OS X can read but not write to NTFS without using a third party driver.)

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
I didn't open them on a PC at all, until after they stopped working. I've copied the files from another Seagate Hard drive via my Mac.
I have NTSF-3g installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.