incompatibility with my flash drive

Reaction score
im running os 9.2 on my emac. when i plug in my flash drive, it is recognized; finder is able to open the drive, however, when i try to open a document (apple works) a popup comes up that says to remove the flash drive, mac is done with it. but when i do that, a separate popup comes up that says please reconnect the drive. ive tried to cancel both of the popups however, no matter what i do, the computer freezes.

what can i do (short of trashing this ancient system and upgrading to at least osx) to get my drive to work? ive tried other usb ports, but the same things happen. please help! thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Not sure, but, can you copy a file from the flash drive to your hard drive? Can you copy a file from your hard drive to your flash drive?

OP
D
Reaction score
when i try to copy a file from the flash to the hard drive, the moment i take the flash drive out, the file disappears.
i am able to copy files from the hd to the flash drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
when i try to copy a file from the flash to the hard drive, the moment i take the flash drive out, the file disappears.

In the "old days" an inserted floppy disk had its own Desktop. So, if you were to drag a file from the floppy to the Desktop, it just got moved, not copied. You had to drag it to a folder that was somewhere on the hard drive. Now, that doesn't seem to hold true for my flash drive. I can copy a file from it to the Desktop. But, just as a test, try to copy a file to a folder rather than to the Desktop. (I know, maybe that's what you did.) Does it still disappear once the flash drive is removed?

If you can eventually make the transfer both ways, there's no need to open a file that is on the flash drive. You can copy it, modify it, and copy it back. That's a pain, but if the other way won' t work.... a temporary detour is better than being out of service.

I can open a file directly from my flash drive, so there should be a way to fix yours, unless it's a hardware issue with the flash drive itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.