Time Machine backups

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have a quick question. I have a MBP and just set up a time machine hard drive connected to an airport extreme. I was curious if anyone knows if it's ok to close the macbook in the middle of a backup. Will time machine continue backing up or stop then resume next time i open it up? I've been scared to close it during a backup in fear of corrupting it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Generally not a good idea. TM will not continue backing up once the computer goes into a sleep state.

It's easier to let TimeMachine do it's thing before closing the lid. It won't necessarily 'hurt' anything (though HD drives can be finicky for certain operations), however subsequent backups will continue to take longer and longer due to the fact that TM will have to go back and recover the state of the original backup before you closed the lid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.