webserver & ftpserver

O

oo_mac_oo

I have setup apache server, php, mysql.. How use webmin to setup my ftp server ?
I just register my domain name. How to put my index.html to my websever and make in run ??
:( :( :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Are you using a personal computer as your host?

If so, I have noooo clue.

I just set up my site but I used other hosting.

How fast is your connection?

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
You should really buy hosting instead of trying to serve up your domain from your own computer, it makes everything a lot easier, and is very inexpensive.

However, there are some good tutorials at devshed for that kind of stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
You should check out tp://korksoft.com (outdated link removed) that's where I'm hosted and it's pretty awesome. Right now they're having Double Days (ends soon) where you get double the bandwidth, double the space and double something else, but anyways, it's pretty cheap, I'm paying $10 a month for 30gb of bandwidth :D

Good Luck,

sKaD

OP
O

oo_mac_oo

sKaD said:
You should check out tp://korksoft.com (outdated link removed) that's where I'm hosted and it's pretty awesome. Right now they're having Double Days (ends soon) where you get double the bandwidth, double the space and double something else, but anyways, it's pretty cheap, I'm paying $10 a month for 30gb of bandwidth :D

Good Luck,

sKaD

I'm can't afford for long term ;) use own computer to setup is good for long term ;)
more space I can get for my FTP & webserver ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
But do you have a dedicated IP? And you'll need to set up your nameserver also.. you have to have a dedicated IP address through whoever you are using to connect to the net..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Also, I think out of about 90% of ISP's (maybe more) it's against their TOS to use your connection as a dedicated host.

So if you plan on having a lot of visitors.. be weary.

sKaD

OP
O

oo_mac_oo

Murlyn said:
But do you have a dedicated IP? And you'll need to set up your nameserver also.. you have to have a dedicated IP address through whoever you are using to connect to the net..

I have nameserver & IP address:eek: then how to do it :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I don't know where you're supposed to keep the index.html file on your computer for it to show up to the world.

But go to the site you registered your domain name to and enter your nameserver there. it can take up to 72hrs for it to work.

I'm not exactly sure how it all works. Check out Devshed like someone else posted.

Good Luck,

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Usually your webroot on a default install of apache is located at /usr/local/apache/htdocs. That is where you would put your webpages.

Most domain registrars allow you to store and manipulate your domain record from their control panel. So if you have a static IP, you should be able to create an A record at your registrar that points to your IP address, and then your domain should resolve to your server. You really don't need nameservers for a simple one domain setup.

Other than that, which is general information, I would need specifics in order to help you out further. But that is a simple way to do what you are asking. I have used this method a bunch of times, and it works pretty good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
excellent.. I hadnt done it that way before.. usually just having my own server and then using the host nameserver, but I havent gone through an ISP.. so that's good to know! Cheers Emrys

OP
O

oo_mac_oo

I have download wu-ftpd-current.tar.gz file. can anyone here help me to step by step install wu-ftp & setup, Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.